Thursday 25 July 2019

Thursday 25/07/2019 - Windmill Fishery - Costcutter - Match Lake

Geoff and I had booked into Shiplate, unfortunately Geoff had to get home early so Windmill fishery it was. But first breakfast at Hungry Horaces - ummy.

Arrived at the fishery and according to the BBC it was likely to be the hottest day since the beginning of time - twats. So suncream on - check, plenty of water - check, umbrella - check, light clothing - check. One good thing about Windmill it's always windy and although it wasn't it's usual force 9 it was giving a nice welcome breeze down to the far end. I said to Geoff the turn out will be low if anyone watch the BBC - luckily they don't.

Mark Haskins was fishing today so had the next float delivery - a man can't have enough floats - can he? Worth a look at his floats especially as he can use the same materials as Malman but cheaper.

Two milk tops left in the draw bag it was a fight with Martyn McMahon who had the last one - he won. I had peg 14 and he peg 6. Geoff drew peg 4. Happy with mine it's had plenty of form over the last couple of months. Even The Trig won off it last night.

Arrived at the peg and plenty of signs of Carp down the far end I was hoping they would join in the fun later down the edge. discounted the Silvers today so paste and pellet it was to be.

I set up two paste rigs - one 0.4 gram for down the track at top set plus three. And a 0.3 gram for all the margins and across to the far bank if absolutely necessary!

I was ready to go when a fish swirled in the LH margin - up wind where I didn't intend to fish. I fed the three lines - track, top-set down wind and long margin to the edge of the Sedges with hard 4's. Then dropped the paste over the swirl and caught a 7 lb Carp with no tail first try. I tried a few more times but got nibbled out - end of. So out on the deep rig and caught a few small Carp before that dried up. There were plenty of fish on the opposite island so got all the tubes out and fished 13 metres with the margin rig with no feed with the paste and had one 3 lb fish first try - got it sorted - not - another three small Carp to 1 1/2 lb before I got frustrated missing bites. 

Matey Bob Warren who was on the next peg came down with blood dripping down his face. He pinged out of Carp and the float came back just missing his eye. At last I was able to put my Duke of Edinburgh's first aid award into practice from when I was 15 and put a plaster on him - actually two but Bob took one off - Pictured right - apparently he's a bleeder.

So time to try the long edge and first try a 8 lb Carp which took some hauling out of the sedges. Just after I had a visit from Tim Ford and had a couple of small Carp whilst he was there once Tim travelled on I reckon I had 35 lb. I had a few more long but was getting frustrated again with identifying liners from bites. With two hours to go I switched to the top-set and caught well. I was catching three decent Carp every 15 minutes when I had another visitor - Gary Bowden who sat too close for comfort - did he learn too much? Had two whilst he was there. I then remembered I had some old maggots in the bag so puts some in - mistake - caught three accidental decent Skimmers over them on paste. Back to loose feeding hard 4s regained the feeding Carp.

My three accidental Skimmers added 5 lb 4oz to my overall weight of 156 lb which was enough to win the match. This peg is an absolute flyer - at the moment.

The Silvers was won by the Enigma (pictured right with the overall winner) with 18 lb 6 oz from peg 18. No point in describing how he caught because no one can mimic him!! Well done matey.

Well we all survived the weather today - including Bob.

Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 156-0-0 peg 14
2. Martyn McMahon 84-03-0 peg 6 (long over to island - slapping)
3. Dave Haines 62-01-0 peg 20
4. Matt Drinkwater 61-14-0 peg 10

Silvers:

1. Steve Dawson 18-06-0 peg 18
2. Martin McMahon 10-0-0 peg 6
3. Ken Morgan 9-09-0 peg 8

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: