Monday 1 July 2019

Sunday 31/06/2019 - Tony Rixon's Float Only - Round Three - Todber manor - Hillview and Homeground

Breakfast with Bela and others in the "Nine Items" Cafe aka The Riverside Cafe. The place has new management and has improved considerably. The litmus with any cafe is whether Bela approved - he did.

Tony does a great job ensuring he has the full complement of forty. I didn't mind where I drew. Finally into the draw bowl and out came peg 59 on Hillview. I was happy with this as I came fourth off peg 60 last year.

For company I had local expert Gary O'Shea on peg 60 and expert everywhere else The Trig on peg 58.

So using the learning from last year it would be paste short on the top-set and paste in the LH margin again on the top-set - who needs a pole barrels these days?. The wind was right for the Ronnie rig so set it up for Silvers.

I fished a 0.3 gram MH paste float on top-set where I found a good 4 foot of water, I had it in mind it might be a tad too deep. All in I fed some 4's on this line a some smelly DR's in the margin. First put in I had a 2 lb Carp next put in I foul hooked on in the tail which was a bugger to net. I had started to loose feed 4's over the top and had a couple more Carp before the foul hooking started which I hate. If I dump potted I could only get nibbles from small Skimmers. However, as soon I started loose feeding I instantly caught a couple of Carp before the fouling hooking recommenced. This was frustrating me and with Gary and Glyn Calvert catching well I thought I would have a go for the Silvers with the Ronnie rig with caster and GB. A complete back to front fishing I couldn't get a bite from Silvers the float just sat there. I did have an occasional Carp!! I wasted an hour on this. Back on the short paste line and the same pastern loose feed catch three then foul hook, rest it nibblers then loose feed - catch some more Carp - repeat. With two hours to go I went in the margin with a 0.2 MH paste float and I must say this peg has one of the better margins for depth. I had a great run catching some better Carp to 6 lb. In such shallow water with a few Carp about foul hooking was inevitable. I lost two one smashing my float in half. The margin dried up so the last hour was spent on the short rig and had a good run before the foul hooking started. I reckon I have lost 40 lb of foulers - frustrating.


My few Silvers weighed 9 lb 10 oz and my Carp 122 lb 2 oz for a nowhere total of 131 lb 12 oz. The peg was worth much more than this - next time think I will fish further up the shelf and regulate the feeding - can't help myself. One advantage of being next to The Trig is you get a running commentary on who's fishing what and their running weights. Including Ken Rayner fishing the Rattler - which I don't believe will compete on this venue.

The venue fished exceptionally well - 6000 lb of fish caught by 40 anglers - average per angler 150 lb. So my weight was below par!!

The match was won by Neil Mercer (pictured right with some of his catch) with 294 lb 4 oz from Homeground corner peg 89. Neil caught most of his fish down his LH edge using 6 mm banded over loose fed 4's. He fed about 2 1/2 pints throughout. Well done matey, you need to talk The Trig through your match on Monday.


The Silvers was won once again by Ryan Shipp (pictured right with the match winner) with 69 lb 12 oz from leg peg 50. Ryan caught on various baits with the four pints of caster being the main attraction. Well done again matey. Most if the Silvers are coming to the meat at the moment.

Brilliant day out but more scales needed on this venue - It was two hours from all out before I was weighed in!

Result:

1. Neil Mercer 294-05-0 peg 89
2. Shaun Townsend 276-14-0 peg 52
3. Martin Rayet 258-04-0 peg 86
4. Joe McMahon 235-08-0 peg 54
5. Ryan Shipp 230-10-0 peg 50
6. Chris Davis 227-04-0 peg 85
.
.
27. Vince Shipp 100-08-0 peg 35

Silvers:

1. Ryan Shipp 69-12-0 peg 50
2. Dave Lewis 43-10-0 peg 82 

Weigh Sheets:





















No comments: