Monday 29 July 2019

Sunday 28/07/2019 - Windmill Open - Match Lake

On my own today so beans and porridge. Second to arrive to John Fuidge so we had a lengthy walk around analysing all the pegs.

I had drawn the flyer peg 14 last Thursday which fishes itself, so wanted to be somewhere else for practice with the paste for next Saturday's all in match. Into the draw box and out comes peg 22. I draw this one a lot and recently only picked up with Silvers, but today it was to be out and out paste. The wind was forecast to be in the West, strengthening as the day progressed, which would be straight into this peg. I could only see one angler Dave Willmott on end bank peg 24 - apparently he has taught himself to levitate using YouTube. I wonder if he would use banded caster today?

This peg is deep close in at top-set plus two puts you in 8-9 foot of water. I set up a 0.4 gram MH paste float to fish the top-set up the shelf, which was still 5 foot deep. I do like to loose feed by hand which can be a problem in this depth. The other paste rig a 0.3 gram for the margin set at 30 inches. Similar to the other paste rig the shelf is quite steep so the paste has a tendency to roll down which can attractive to the Carp, more so a nuisance.

Having fed both paste lines with hard 4 's I started on the deep rig and was soon playing one of the newbie Commons - they fight like hell for 3 pounds they will be very difficult to get out once they become doubles. I had about 15 lb when I started to lose fish. OK some might have been fouled but not many of them. Lightly hook me thinks. Dave was having similar problems. I started to play the fish more carefully which helped. After an hour or so the line dried up with the tell-tell nibblers arrival. So early try in the margin and caught a 8 lb Mirror. There has been an explosion of 1 oz Ronnies - millions of the blighters and they like the margins. A Carp would come to the margin and chase them, I had a feeling they were actually feeding on them. I was anticipating that the margin would get better as the day went on. With about an hour or so to go I reckon I had 80 lb and was holding my own with Dave. However, the wind pickup and as expected was blowing directly at me making presentation difficult. The upshot was I only caught one small Cap during this time.

My fish weighed in at 84 lb 12 oz which included an accidental 9 oz Skimmer. I was glad to get out of the wind which was strangely cold.

The match was won by John Fuidge (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with a personal best of 229 lb 14 oz from in form peg 14. John initially caught shallow/slapping and later down his margin all with banded 6mm pellet fished over 4's.

The Silvers was won by Dave Haines pictured with the match winner with 11 lb 5 oz from peg 11. Dave caught on maggot on his top-set over loose fed maggot.

Shame about the turnouts for the commercial matches. The problem is that there are too many 20 peg venues. We do need bigger venues to attract a bigger turn out. There are plenty of quality matchmen in the South West to fill a 60 peg Sunday venue.

Result:

1. John Fuidge 229-14-0 peg 14
2. Gerry Welsh 129-08-0 peg 2
3. Dave Willmott 126-01-0 peg 24

Silvers:

1. Dave Haines 11-05-0 peg 11
2. john Fuidge 9-09-0 peg 14
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: