Sunday 17 March 2019

Sunday 17/03/2019 - Windmill Open - Match Lake

Met with Geoff at Staple Hill Wetherspoons. Couldn't believe it the food was proper hot! Slowed Geoff down a tad.

Short drive to the fishery and saw Chris "Shipp" Davis unloading his van. So would it be stick it out fishing or FOE to golf - he had all the necessaries. Chris stuck it out to come fourth.

I had a look at the Lake and the wind was already hacking into peg 23. Told geoff if I drew it I wouldn't fish it. I've had enough of this wind. Into the draw box and two pegs left - out comes peg 22 - Bugger. In the wind again then. Peg 23 was slightly worse which Lee Waller set up in, however, he was soon to be an FOE.

Peg 22 is a very good Carp peg so that was my quarry for the day. As peg 21 was empty and was offering some calmer waters right across I set up a very large waggler and a 4x16 Winter Titan to hang on to down wind at top-set plus 2 in 9 foot of water!

I started on the pole fishing single maggot over micro and maggot. I was amazed to catch a 4 oz Skimmer first put in, unfortunately not a sign of things to come, subsequently catching small Ronnies. So tried the waggler which to be fair was presenting much better but I couldn't feed fr enough with the wind stopping the maggot loose feed at halfway! More Ronnies followed then a Carp. I stayed on the waggler until the last hour catching Ronnies and six Carp and due to the wind and my presentation I lost six foul hookers. The wind increased significantly and it was was bloody freezing. Geoff did a FOE from peg 3. I switched back on the pole and foul hooked another three Carp landing two. Foul hooking was largely due to the wind and me having to lay on.


Once again the horrendous wind totally buggered my days fishing. The peg was worth far more than my fifth place 40 lb 2 oz. That said I did enjoy packing up and getting warm in the car on the way home!

The match was won by Nick Saunders (pictured right with his catch) with 81 lb 9 oz from end bank peg 24. Nick caught Carp to 8 lb fishing in his right hand margin with his pole rig set to 3 foot fishing meat or pellet over the same feed.

The Silvers was won by peg selector Dave Haines with 6 lb 2 oz from peg 5. Dave fished for Silvers throughout catching on maggot and GB.

Result:

1. Nick Saunders 81-09-0 peg 24
2. Andy "The Lead" Gard 63-03-0 peg 20
3. Paul Taylor 53-10-0 peg 1
4. Chris Davis 51-01-0 peg 11
5. Mike Nicholls 40-02-0 peg 22

Silvers:

1. Dave Haines 6-02-0 peg 5
2. Gerry Welch  5-06-0 peg 7
3. Mike Nicholls 5-0-0 peg 22

Weigh Sheet:


No comments: