Friday 15 March 2019

14/03/2019 - Plantation Main Lake - Tony Rixon and Paul Faiers - Silvers Only Open

Firstly, well done to Rowland Lucas for winning the Fish "O" qualifier at Viaduct this week. I believe it's his second time - good luck in the final.

Got up early and looked out the window and was very tempted to get back in bed. Gusting winds and heavy rain. Had a look at the Metoffice weather app which promised the wind and rain would subside by lunch time. So decision made not to be sat in front of Netflix for another day. Stopped in the Bridge Inn and as I got to the bar they had the power cut. Luckily it was a planned outage and a 110 kVA generator was soon connected. Breakfast was acceptable.

Tony had a request to allow feeder fishing due to the wind. However, I thought it could be pegged negating this particularly as we only had 11 booked in. The near bank is supposed to be the best bank, however, I think you can get a good days fishing from any peg on this Lake (weather conditions permitting) difficult to predict where it would be won from. So with the wind neary in the West Tony pegged the far bank (under supervision) where everyone could pole fish.

Into the draw tub and out comes peg 3 which was permanent peg 24. Very happy with this because I had shelter from the trees plus the steady state wind was behind me. In a previous match I had 43 lb of Roach from this peg so set up the Ronnie rig and a 4x12 Winter Titan to fish top-set plus three. I thought about setting up the 4 metre whip but decided against - should have.

I started long on expander over micro and expected a Ronnie or Skimmer immediately. It wasn't long before I was playing my first fish - a Carp!! I had three more before I switched the line to GB and caster - more Carp. Only on small Ronnies from this line which I missed the net with. Time to try the Ronnie rig initially with caster and soon had two decent Ronnies in the net. Next fish another Carp. My thinking was that the loose fed caster was attracting them. So I fed some GB with a few Pinkies in and with single pinkie on the hook I started to catch Ronnies which when loose feeding Pinkie over the top got better and better. I only fed another four nubes of GB to help things on. However, the last one attracted the Carp and I had a bad period trying to lose Carp as fast as possible. I tried the long line again but the Carp were in waiting.The Roonie line had now settled and started to catch them again. However, there was an upside to the Carp coming in, they brought a few Skimmers with them. The last 45 minutes was difficult because the Carp returned. Throughout the match I hooked 11 landed 3 and pulled for break on the rest.

At last I've had a lovely days fishing and couldn't blame the wind for not catching. I weighed 25 lb 10 oz for halfway which show what a great fishery this is. The benefits of allowing nature to manage a fishery. 

Whilst pegging I mentioned to Tony how the Carp had so far been noticeable by their absence - be carefully what you say!!

The match was won by Mark "Scruff" Broomsgrove (pictured right with his excellent catch of Silvers) with 43 lb 8 oz from peg 8 - Permanent peg 32?. Mark caught on the whip with caster hookbait fished over GB laced with micro, chopped worm and caster and loose fed caster over the top. Mark fed about 1 1/2 pints of caster. Proper fishing.

It's a shame this is the last match for this year, back again next year.

Result:

1. Mark Broomsgrove 43 -08-0 peg 8
2. John Fuidge 39-06-0 peg 6
3. Steve Rolfe 38-02-0 peg 5

Weigh Sheet:

No comments: