Thursday 21 February 2019

Thursday 21/02/2019 - Bathampton AA - Club Match - Sections Only - Bridge Pool

Geoff and I had our usual breakfast at Hungry Horaces. Today seemed better than usual, was it the spring like weather or just cooked differently. With the school run on holiday it was an easy drive to the fishery. Why don't all kids walk to school like I had to!

Bridge Pool having a recent waste of money siltexing had now turned a brown colour - probably an Algae. I didn't fancy it at all and didn't know where the best pegs would be today but would be happy with peg 14.

As can be seen from the video below I had drawn Cliff who was downunder with his wife on holiday so fished against his stand in Cliff Rolfe!

Late into the draw bag and out comes peg 15 - near enough I'm thinking. For company I had Hughie Evans on peg 14 and Mike Jones on peg 16 who, when he wasn't fighting with the opposite innocent brambles was knocking my top-sets with his very long whip.

I set up the usual 4x16 Winter Titan to fish at top-set plus four barrels at 11 o'clock and a light waggler to fish over to the end of the island. I started on the pole with single maggot over GB laced with Pinkie which just sat there whilst Hughie was catching decent Skimmers short on soft pellet. I reckon he had 8 lb in the net before I had my first fish - a micro Ronnie. I persevered with this line by topping up regularly, which only resulted in more tiny Ronnies. With no signs of Skimmers I was only left with section second to fish for, so picked up the waggler rod. With single LR on the hook fished over loose fed half and half caster and LR's started to catch some better Ronnies. In and out I kept feeding the pole line which didn't show any sign of Skimmers. The upshot was I spent the rest of the match on the waggler and towards the end started to catch some F1's mixed in with the Ronnies and a 1 lb Perch. I must admit I enjoy this type of fishing. The varying wind was a bit of a nuisance at times.

My Silvers weighed 7 lb 1 oz and my F1's 8 lb 14 oz for a section second of 15 lb 15 oz. Plus I beat Cliff Rolfe on the knockout.


The match and the Silvers was won by Tony Rixon (pictured right with his Skimmer catch) with 20 lb 12 oz and 32 lb 4 oz overall from peg 5. Tony caught on GB and casters. See his blog for the details...

Geoff finished joint second overall with 18 lb 6 oz from peg 6.


Result:

A Section - Tony Rixon 20-12-0 peg 5
A Section - Geoff Francis 18-06-0 peg 6

B Section - Steve Dawson 11-08-0 peg 10
B Section - Mike Nicholls 15-15-0 peg 15

C Section - Dave Gillard 8-15-0 peg 24
C Section - Ken Morgan 18-06-0 peg 21

D Section - Dave Wride 13-08-0 peg 28
D Section - Ray Bazeley 11-10-0 peg 30

Keynsham Angling Voucher - peg 4 - Pete Greenslade

Weigh Sheets:




















Today's Video:



No comments: