Monday 4 June 2018

Sunday 03/06/2018 - Ivy House Open - Kingfisher and Moorhen Canals


Bela arrived with his new van for its first trip fishing. In fact first time Bela has driven it. All I will say RTMF1 (Read The Manual For Once). Nice and shiny (pictured right sun glasses recommended) I was given prior instructions not to wear anything dirty!! It’s about time he treated himself, he works so hard it is well deserved (pleased as punch – picture right).

We decided on Ivy House Open which was on both canals – Kingfisher – Moorhen. Both Ryan and dad Vince has recommended it many times especially for the Silvers fishing. Arrived early and had a very nice home cooked breakfast. Fuelled up and into the tin and out comes white ball with 30 on it – Moorhen it would be then. With seven on each Canal we would all have plenty of room.

Peg 30 is one into the Wides which would need 14 metres to reach tight to the far bank. However, I could get close enough with 13 metres to get halfway up the shelf. I’m not sure why I have mentioned this because I didn’t go any further than my top-set! Two rigs – a 4x14 Winter to fish anywhere from top-set out – very flat bottom. I don’t know why I have mentioned this either as I only used the Ronnie rig all match!

Two swims one down to my left with the rig set at 3 foot which could be fished up and down by pulling into the margin and one out in front fished at various depths. Only one bait live reds. I started well catching some decent Ronnie’s and couple of Hybrids and small Skimmers to 1 lb. Then due to over feeding drew in the pesky 2 oz Carp that have been stocked which all have to be netted!! The problem is that the Silvers won’t stay feeding with them or more like these small Carp get to the bait quicker. Anyway as soon as I fed them into the swim I would changed to the in front swim and that’s how I kept the Silvers coming. I caught Bream to 4lb and Ronnie’s to near a pound. I did have an accidental 8lb Carp. My one pint of maggots looked like not being enough but by rationing managed to get through the full six hours.

My 2 oz Carp weight 9 lb (55 of the blighters) and the one proper Carp 7 lb 10 oz. My Silvers weighed a dead 42 lb for a total 58 lb 10 oz. Now “if only” I had caught one more 2 lb Skimmer I would have double bubbled. Instead coming second Silvers and third in the match. I was a bit rusty due to having a week away on holiday with the Brighton side of the family; plus it was bloody hot. My net of Silver pictured right.

The match was won by Baggy (pictured right with another fossil) who fossilised the competitors on Kingfisher winning both the match and the Canal Silvers, so a nice double pick up for Mrs. Baggy. Baggy caught on paste initially down the middle then later down his margin for an overall weight of 80 lb 10 oz from peg 39.

The Silvers was won by “I haven’t caught much” Ryan Shipp with 43 lb 10 oz from Kingfisher peg 24. Ryan caught on caster and Corn.

Last time Bela and I fished ay Ivy House we said we must go there more often; we said it again today with greater intentions. Another great day out fishing.

Result:

  1. Baggy 80-10-0 peg 39 K
  2. Simon 59-06-0 peg 34 M
  3. Mike Nicholls 58-10-0 peg 30 M
Silvers:

  1. Ryan Shipp 43-10-0 peg 24 M
  2. Mike Nicholls 42-0-0 peg 30 M
  3. Baggy 17-08-0 peg 39 K
Weigh Sheet:



No comments: