Thursday 24 May 2018

Thursday 24/05/2018 - Harescombe Cost Cutter - Match Lake


Out on the garden yesterday which was a bit nippy to start with but I was soon sweating. Today I wish I had put on the thermal underwear!

Nice breakfast cooked by no other than Andrew Price. I pinched Geoff’s black pudding off his large breakfast to boost my small.

It was nice to catch up with the venue regulars especially Terry Girdlestone. I was hoping not draw next to him because he’s a jinx.

Into the draw bag and out comes peg 14. I was reasonably happy with this even though peg 15 was in on the end bank; but was slightly worried when Terry arrived on peg 12! Geoff had drawn opposite on peg 18. I thought I had an end peg that was until 20 minutes to the start the owner of peg 15 rolls up Duh. I think he’s a plumber as he spent 25% the match on the mobile discussing boiler power requirements with anon.

You have got to be quick setting up as it’s only an hour from the hut to the second duck call. Two rigs a 4 x12 winter for top-set plus two in a lot deeper water than I remember; for 4mm expander over micro; next a 4x10 Speedy for the RH margin in three foot of water.

I fed the margin with a smidgen of 4mm meat and the long line with a pot of micro. First put in on the expander I hooked and landed a F1, subsequently nothing only indications from tiny Silvers. I had previously decided that the peg would produce most from the margin so spent the rest of the match there with kindered meat over meat. I must admit I had a great first two hours catching very well; both Skimmers and F1’s. It slowed but at 13:00 the swim completely died for 50 minutes, during which I noticed the colour had dropped out if the water. The swim really didn’t recover as I expected in the latter parts of the match. I did have a few but nowhere nearly enough. I thought I had around 60lb, but those around me thought I had 100 lb only because they thought my 20 Skimmers were 2lb F1’s!

My Skimmers weighed 11 lb 14 oz and my F1’s 51 lb 4 oz for a forth overall total of 63 lb 2 oz.

The match was won by Stuart Graham (pictured right) with 80 lb 8 oz from fancied peg 22. Stuart caught short on maggot over maggot.

Back to the pub for a beer and debrief with Geoff and an excellent end to another perfect day.

I must fish here more often a great bunch of lads.

Result:

  1. Stuart Graham 80-08-0 peg 22
  2. Brain Dix 78-10-0 peg 6
  3. Rich Powell 74-10-0 peg 24
  4. Mike Nicholls 63-02-0 peg 14
Weigh Sheet:



No comments: