Monday 21 May 2018

Terry Bruton 1936 - 2018

I first got to know Terry at the end of the 60's during South West Angling Times Winter League matches his Dad Sid and I were in the same team. Terry was a Systems Engineer working on Concorde and was Team Leader of one of the systems teams - Hydraulics I think. Terry had to interface quite a lot with the French so he was sent on French lessons I don't think the language stuck. Later he started his own business servicing Quarry equipment. 

I am not sure what year it was but Terry won every single section in the SWWL which was amazing considering there were 14 teams. After this he was referred to as the "One man Band". Never to be repeated.

I remember drawing next to Terry in an open match on the Fry's section of the Bristol Avon and could only watch in amazement him fishing the far bank in 13 foot of water (where the flow was) using bread over home made bread groundbait, he easily won the match that day with 21 lb of Skimmers, Roach and Hybrids. No crow Quills for Terry he used a homemade float which I copied - all balsa  with a wooden antenna. The interesting aspect of these floats was they could be used top and bottom or waggler - crafty.

Through us both having Sons of similar age, all keen to learn match fishing we became good friends. We supported the lads in the various leagues. I remember Dave winning a Junior match on the Crane with 18lb of Chub from the New Fence Swim, Terry was over the moon about this. later we fish the Dads and Lads matches. Terry and Dave won it at Huntstre pushing Steve and me into second place with a late 6 lb Tench, Pictured.

Both our sons fished the Junior national on the Bristol Avon, we both had great expectation only for the lads to get beaten by a poor draw.

Terry loved his Carp fishing, but was equally at home catching Silvers. Terry pictured right with a match winning net of Silvers from Bridge Pool. However, he mostly loved his Carp fishing in traditional ways.

Terry loved the Hunstrete fishery more than any other and was the record holder until one day I drew peg 16 and Terry was on next peg 15. Terry weigh 120 lb but I was to take his record with 201 lb. Terry was the first to congratulate me. Pictured.

Terry won more matches than most matchmen have had hot dinners. Any venue and method he did them all. Later in life he focussed on local venues - Hunstrete and Viaduct.

He use to call me regularly especially when "My Dave" did well in a match. He was so proud when this happened.

Terry lived for fishing and fishing lived for him. he was the most focussed angler I know. RIP matey will be sorely missed by me and  many others. Especially the Coffin Dodgers pictured below:




































































































And finally Terry having a swim at Viaduct on peg 118. borrowed my smelly fleece and carried on - whats else from Terry.


No comments: