Monday 18 June 2018

Sunday 17/06/2018 - Ivy House Open - Moorhen and Kingfisher Canals


Back with Bela and his jealousy van. Must say it’s so easy to get the kit in especially now I have an allocated area! We have both booked in for the Todber Autumn pairs again this year - shame they are on Saturdays; at least no clashes.

We promised a quick return to Ivy House so this was the next available date. Apparently Bela entered a one man raffle and won a Drennan rod and stink bag. Vince Shipp was miffed he wasn’t asked to enter.

One of Karen’s breakfasts then into the draw tin and out come peg ball 31. One peg away from where I was last match and I thought then it looked a better peg because it’s the narrowest on the Canal and would create some wind driven flow especially as the wind was hitting the peg hard today. This was to become a bit of a nuisance though.

Vince Shipp told me Ryan had won the Silvers from the peg the previous day. Apparently feeding 7 pints of casters!! Well my one pint would surely be ample with some left over for the next match? For company I had Baggy who was to fish paste all day. He was telling me about some guy in Bristol that spends lots of time mixing his paste with special ingredients – wonder who he’s referring to?

Bait table consisted of a small tin of corn, 1 pint casters and half pint of wetted micro. I could easily reach the far bank with 11.5 metres so thought I would set up a 4x12 Roob set to 3 foot with 0.16 straight through. The Ronnie rig for caster over caster and a 4x14 winter to fish top-set plus two with corn over corn and micro; simple.

I started on the Ronnie rig and found it a slow start, but the Ronnie’s arrived for a while catching them to 12 oz – lovely; some Skimmers and Hybrids; until the bloody nuisance 2 oz Carp arrived. Time to leave alone and start on the corn and micro line I did have some big Bream on this, losing 2 huge flyers, not sure one was even hooked though. I overdid it with the micro as fizzing started with fishing slowing. Shall I go over to the far bank – bugger nooo. Laziness came in to play and I used the Roob down my margin with double caster over kindered caster hoping to avoid the small Carp. First try I hooked a big Skimmer and bumped it due to the heavy elastic. Bugger it let's do it properly so a lighter top-set and a 4x12 winter was soon having a 5 lb Bream flying off the hook. Things then settled and I had a lovely run of Skimmers, Tench, Roach and Perch, until the bigger Carp showed up. The first Carp I bullied too much and pulled the hook. The next two were landed. That was it three in a row – amazing. I stupidly up the caster and brought back the tiny Carp. So back out on the corn, I think I fished this line too far out and may have been better fished just on the top-set just down the near shelf. The wind wasn’t helping the presentation either. That’s how the match progressed; switching between the two lines to keep away from the Widgers.

My Silvers weighed 43 lb for a first and my Carp 16 lb 14 oz for a second overall total of 59 lb 14oz.  Double bubble and I came away with ¼ pint of casters!! I did feed most of the micro to the Widgers at the end. Some of my Skimmers pictured upper right with me dressed for winter.

The match was won by Vince Shipp (pictured right) from near end peg 34 with 65 lb 14 oz. Vince caught on pellet either shallow long towards the corner or down his RH edge to the end pallet.

I think Andy has got the fish balance about right (except for the Widgers) because more often than not you need the Slivers back up to frame either of the Canals.

 Another great day out.

Result:

  1. Vince Shipp 65-14-0 peg 34
  2. Mike Nicholls 59-14-0 peg 31
  3. Mick Gale 47-10-0 peg 43
Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 43-0-0 peg 31
  2. Mick Gale 40-08-0 peg 43
Weigh Sheet:



No comments: