Friday 7 July 2017

Thursday 06/07/2017 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's - Hunstrete - Bridge Pool

I travelled with Geoff Francis today the latest and newest Coffin Dodger. This is the first time I travelled to Hunstrete with someone else (this fact is important for what happened later).

Mike Jones thinks he’s found the secret of the Ronnie Rig (Pictured right)!

First stop was Kingswood Wetherspoons where we met John Smith and Pete Greenslade. John was last to order and looked in a bit of a day dream so when the barmaid asked what he want John blurted out “Thatcher’s Gold Please”, we all fell around laughing.

Twenty two fishing today only loosing one, Jim Norris didn’t fancy fishing peg 26! In to the draw bag and out comes yellow counter peg 10. Happy with the fishing but not the location because I would be in the blistering sun all day, plus it’s a disabling peg! These platforms play havoc on my knees. For company I had John Smith on peg 8 and Chris Rolfe on peg 11. Arriving at the peg the first thing I noticed was Carp blowing out on front at top-set plus three where I would normally start fishing. It was apparent someone had totally filled in the swim the day before.

Set up a 4x14 F1 to fish over the blowing fish in case they were Skimmers (I knew different). A 4 metre whip with one of my home made inverted crow quill wagglers to fish up in the water. And although the Ronnie population has been devastated by the fishery management I thought I would set it up anyway – glad I did as it happens. Words of warning don’t put on sun cream just after mixing GB without washing your hands first!!

It was good to see Mike Keys walking the bank and threatening to start fishing with us again.

I fed some GB laced with maggot and micro over the blowing fish (I wish I hadn’t) shipped out with single live red and the float just sat there, until I had an indication that I should have left but didn’t and had my first foul hooked Carp. Chris and John were doing much better than me and were much less frustrated. I switch to the Ronnie rig and caster down to my right and started to get a Perch a chuck around the 4oz mark so big enough. I decided to feed a big ball of GB on an out in front Ronnie line and had a go on the 4 metre whip which would get me over the blow line. With single red on the hook again I was catching Perch shallow with the odd Ronnie. I switched to the GB Ronnie line loose feeding caster over the top. A good decision as I had a bite a chuck for four hours. Catching two Skimmers to 2lb then Ronnie’s and Perch in between – no waiting around for Bream for me. Into the last hour and Note to myself “Reduce the caster feed and don’t increase it”. Because of the feed I attracted the Silt Pigs foul hooking another six of them.

I finish with 25lb 8oz for second on the day and a very active enjoyable day. Having packed away I thought I would drive the car down to the peg to load it straight in, but couldn’t find the car keys so thought I must have left them in the car so walked up so the car park where he penny dropped – No keys and no car I was with Geoff. What next, getting more like Mike Jones every day at least my under pants were on the right way.

The match was won by Chris Rolfe (pictured right with his catch of Skimmers) with 27lb 12oz from peg 11. Chris caught at top-set plus three then later at 13 metres using maggot over GB (Gimps and Lake) laced with dead maggot and caster. Chris fished a good match I must take some time to show Chris how to get Skimmer slime off his line quickly.

It was back to the pub after with the usual suspects and a great end to a great day out fishing with like minded mates.

Full Result:

  1. Chris Rolfe 27-12-0 peg 11
  2. Mike Nicholls 25-08-0 peg 10
  3. Paul Barnfield 19-10-0 peg 21
  4. Dave Wride 18-14-0 peg 15
  5. Ken Morgan 18-12-0 peg 27
  6. Hughie Evans 17-08-0 peg 19
Weigh Sheets:





















No comments: