Monday 17 July 2017

Saturday 17/07/2017 - Todber Manor Open - Ash, Hillview and Homeground Lakes

Son Steve wanted to go fishing on Saturday, so where to go? Then I thought of Todber Manor which has been recommended to me by Gary O’Shea and Des Shipp as being a venue that would suit my style of fishing. So we booked in. Previously I was going for a bike ride with Tim Ford, so he and Glenn switched to coming with us. Steve and I first stopped at Canards Well for breakfast which is a 45 minute drive then on to the fishery which is another 45 minutes. I think there is an easier/quicker way via the A36 and A350.

We arrived in plenty of time to have a walk around the three Lakes in the match – Ash, Home Ground and Hillview, all new and immaculate with parking behind most pegs. Thirty five booked in which is excellent for a Saturday, many whom I knew. A look around the tackle shop which is probably the best stocked in the South West catering for all the various types of coarse angler.

The pools were £20 plus optional £5 silvers which is rightly not defaulted. Into the draw tin and out comes “Two Fat Ladies” - peg 88 which was on the back of Homeground Lake one peg which needed a short walk. Steve drew peg 36 on Hillview Lake.

I was advised by a couple of locals (no names – no pack drill) that the match wouldn’t be won from my Lake, but the Silvers might be. So I’m thinking my options were either fish for Carp for section coin or Silvers. Silvers it would be. The wind was a blowing from right to left into the corner between me and Jonny Gray who was on peg 90 making it difficult for the Ronnie rig, but that was the first rig made up and resting on the bait tray. I also set up a 4x10 Winter to fish top-set plus one in 4 foot of water and a 4x14 Winter to fish top-set plus three which took me to full depth at 5 foot. Looking at the water it appeared to be a nice clean colour leading me to rule out GB. So caster it would be then. I did add some 6mm meat to the bait tray for hookers.

The Carp fishing would be a bit of a fish race so I knew once committed to Silvers there would be no switching to Carp later.That said I'm sure the Silvers could be won accidentally.

I started on the Ronnie rig and as expected the wind made presentation difficult. However, there is so many fish that they didn’t seem mind it too much. I caught pretty much every proper Silver fish there is. Half way through with about 20lb in the net and ten accidental Carp I got a bit tired of fighting the wind with the Ronnie so fished the second half with the 4x10 and caught much easier and quicker – should have changed earlier. Meanwhile Jonny Gray was emptying with a Carp a bung and was happy to loan him one of my keep nets. My weight was made of 30lb of Bream to 8lb and 27lb of Ronnie’s, Tench, Skimmers, Rudd and loads of tiny Perch. Luckily the Carp wasn’t too much of a nuisance of which there was abundance, I could catch one a bung from the margin. You don’t need much bait I was hoping to use ½ pint of caster and save half for Sunday but ended up using nearly a full pint. I only caught one Silver fish on meat hook bait otherwise it would be a Carp.

My Silvers weighed in at 57lb 13oz and my 20 accidental Carp to 2lb weighed 29lb 8oz for a Silvers win and qualifying for the Silvers final next Easter. Hillview Lake didn’t fish up to expectation where Steve managed to get a Par weight and was the only one of the four from Bristol not to pick up coin. Well done to Tim Ford for coming second overall and second with some accidental Silvers and Glenn Bailey for a section default. Well as for Homeground not being able to compete for a frame then these predictions can be so wrong with seven pegs from the Lake picking up coin. Angling is not that prescriptive.

The match was won by Jonny Gray from peg 90 (pictured above right with some of his catch) with 217lb 10oz Jonny caught out in front at top-set plus one, top-set and ditto down each side margin. Jonny caught on hard pellet over loose fed pellet – simple. Well done matey nice to watch.

I have now booked in Bela and me for the autumn pairs four match series. Fishing shouldn’t be so manic by then. I haven’t told Bela that the Lakes are very exposed to the elements which will be interesting.

A very good venue well designed and managed by John Candy. I wish John built had built the Windmill Fishery.

Back to Shepton Mallet for a Winstone's fish and chip supper. A great day out.

Full Result:

  1. Jonny Gray 217-10-0 peg 90 H/G
  2. Tim Ford 184-0-0 peg 77 H/G
  3. Marc Illingworth 160-10-0 peg 85 H/G
  4. Barry Robson 156-02-0 peg 87 H/G
  5. Jack Stamp 149-07-0 peg 69 Ash
  6. Glenn Bailey 148-02-0 peg 72 Ash
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 57-13-0 peg 88 H/G
  2. Tim Ford 25-08-0 peg 77 H/G
  3. Dave Roper 20-04-0 peg 80 H/G
Weigh Sheets:
















































No comments: