Sunday 13 November 2016

Sunday 13/11/2016 - Viaduct Silvers League - Round Four - Lodge, Carey and Campbell Lakes

First stop Shipham for Breakfast Bela was a bit under the weather so restrained to just the large breakfast plus my sausage because they were like cardboard. Mr and Mrs came in later.

Lovely mild morning with a ghost like mist over the moors pictured right – a great to be living sort of day.

I’m sure all the anglers has a certain place in the draw queue, me I was first in to the coffee tin one ahead of Trigger and out comes peg 87 on the top bank of Carey. Happy with this as last match a few decent Skimmers were caught on this bank with peg 88 winning the section with 17lb.

Today it was a question of – “Jokers to the right of me, Jokers to the left of me and I'm stuck on the middle with Ronnie”. Bela was on next peg 86 (third time in a row we’ve been neighbours) and on the other side Chris Davis.

Last match I came to the conclusion that if there are a multitude of tiny Skimmers (2-3oz) in the peg you need to feed the minimum amount of GB otherwise they get pre-occupied with it and feed off bottom causing a lot of enticing fizz and thus become difficult to catch, I decided to feed the merest amount.

The first thing I set up was the waggler to fish caster over caster as far as I could feed - 25 metres. The conditions were ideal for it with the line pulling up to the float laying the line perfectly straight. Next was two 4x10 F1 floats, one to be fished over GB at 7 metres and the other at 11.5 metres with caster over caster/worm. Finally the 4 metre Drennan whip with my home made reversed crow quill waggler.

It was a very bright day with the sun reflection on the water to be a nuisance all day.

I started by be feeding the 7 metre line with a small knub of GB laced with pinkie and the 11 metre line positive with potted caster. I left the waggler line for now. I started at 7 metre with pinkie hook bait and caught tiny Skimmers and Ronnie’s with the emphasis on Ronnie’s. However, even fishing at 7 metres it was slow shipping in and out. So I switched to the whip and caught Ronnie’s on Pinkie over loose fed Pinkie. I did try the longer line a couple of times in anticipation of catching a decent Skimmer, however, I didn’t stay on it long instead using Bela and Chris as my litmus because if these two can’t catch Skimmers then neither can I.

The upshot was the waggler stayed dry with the whip doing the business catching about 130 Ronnie’s for 13lb 5oz for a section second and a pick up.

The match was won by the Dude (pictured right) with 32lb 9oz from Carey peg 99. Dan caught at 14.5 metres fishing bunches of Pinkies on a size 16 hook over GB laced with dead Pinkie. Be fed about 1 kg of GB and ½ pint of Pinkie through out the match.

Full Result:

  1. Dan Squires 32-09-0peg 99
  2. Gary O Shea 27-06-0 peg 68
  3. Clint Wojtyle 25-11-0 peg 128
  4. Chris Fox 20-01-0 peg 126
  5. Clayton Hudson 17-14-0 peg 111
  6. Jess Jordan 17-02-0 peg 96
Weigh Sheets:
































No comments: