Friday 30 September 2016

Thursday 29/09/2016 - Viaduct Cost Cutter - Campbell and Carey

Me and Glenn Bailey off to Viaduct, Glenn for a practice drawing for Saturdays All Winners final and me practice for Sundays Silvers League first match. First stop The Junction Café in Castle Cary. The traffic was bad so we arrived just four minutes before the draw.

I had brought all the usual Silvers bait and as a back up put in some paste – just in case. I was hoping to avoid any of the Carp pegs, so Carey would be good.

A good turn out with 34 fishing spread equally over Campbell and Carey, with separate match payouts on each lake. I often over diagnose things such as why is this Thursday match so popular it can’t be for the payouts, perhaps it’s the great fishing and a decent number of angers to compete against.

In to the draw coffee tin and out comes Campbell peg 114. One of my favourite pegs as it is predominantly margin fishing. I now let my heart rule my head and decided to forget the Silvers to the extent I left all the Silvers bait locked in Glenn’s car and just took paste and hard 4’s to the peg. As it transpired this was a big mistake and it wasn’t all hindsight but bloody foolish.

So one paste rig set up that would suit both the margin at 4 metres and out from the bank at 9-o-clock at 5 metres. I chose here because a Carp snapped at the plummet.

So started on the 5 metre line with the paste over kindered hard 4’s and had 7 Carp in 7 put-ins. Going well me thinks, then it died so done a “two Pots” and dumped a big pot of 4’s in and tried the margin which I had previously fed with 4’s and had a fish straight away a small Common which are the quickest animals on earth, within a nano second they are in the brambles, but with the Drennan Margin pole, 20 elastic and 0.20 I could give as much as they were giving. However, if you hook one of the 3lb Commons in the tail you got as much chance of getting it out as you have of getting Bela out of the café halfway through his breakfast – NONE. I love this type of fishing – not for the faint hearted and those with I love my pole syndrome. I then started foul hooking which caused a few rig disasters and a couple enforced walks along the bank – all good fun. I then noticed some blow on the 5 metre line so went in and had a decent Skimmer. So decided to have a go for them by using a smaller piece of paste and had a nice little run until the sun’s glare came over the line. So spent the rest of the match fishing the margin which gradually got better, however, they weren’t really having it with too many foulers. The margin here is quite deep in comparison, so prone to fouling.

My few Silvers weighed 15lb 2oz and my Carp 75lb 9oz for a total of 90lb 11oz. Now if I had my Silvers baits I would have definitely picked up in the Silvers on Campbell as only 20lb was needed. Heart over head, should have known only Nigel Bartlett would be fishing for the Silvers. I’m looking forward to Sunday’s Silvers match, no compromising fishing.

The match was won by Electrician Nick Merry (pictured upper right with some of his catch) with 204lb 11oz from Carey 74. Nick caught off the end of the tree fishing 6 inches below the float with hair rig banded 6mm pellet fished over loose fed 6 mm’s. Nick caught steady all day feeding 2 pints of 6’s. Well done matey.

The Silvers was won by Nigel Bartlett (pictured right) with 42lb from peg 111. Nigel caught at 4 metres over initially GB and soft pellet later swapping to worm and caster which produced some bigger Skimmers until the "Water Pigs" arrived.

I bet a lot of anglers can name the angler who owns these contraptions (pictured t bottom), it’s not Gary Etheridge. I find the thing intriguing.

Full Result:

  1. Nick Merry 204-11-0 peg 74
  2. Byron Woodsford 192-02-0 peg 132
  3. Chris Fox 171-13-0 peg 116
  4. Ian Willietts 15109-0 peg 119
  5. Roy “Hybrid” Worth 148-06-0 peg 130
  6. Keiron 148-06-0 peg 105
Top Silvers:

  1. Nigel Bartlett 42-0-0 peg 111
  2. Ken Rayner 20-14-0 peg 77
Weigh Sheets:







No comments: