Friday 9 September 2016

Thursday 09/09/2016 - Amalgamation Autumn Silvers League - Round Six - Tockenham Reservoir

Breakfast in Miss Piggy’s with pegger outer Dave Poole. I went for the Pig One excellent, no wonder it’s away busy. Dave had put the pegs closed signs up on the Sunday but sensibly went by permanent peg numbers (where they existed). We were allocated the far bank down along the dam wall. I then went through all the risks with Dave – signs tore down and pleasure anglers on the pegs. Dave rushed off to check.
Arriving at the fishery and yep signs missing and two pleasure anglers on our pegs – one moved with no fuss and the other stayed and surprisingly it was Bernard Jones a good river match angler in the day and a Amalgamation committee member. We didn’t insist he move as we need to keep on the right side of committee members.
We were expecting 18 today but with Coffin Dodgers holiday season now here we were down to 15. Mike Jones was today’s organiser standing in for Andy Smith – expect a few hiccups then – Mike spent 30 minutes working out the payout based on every possible scenario – his head was spinning. PS: Happy birthday Mrs Jones hope Mike wasn’t too late home with the flowers!
Time for the draw bag, not an ordinary bag but a Pensioners draw bag – expensive and with a tight opening allowing only one hand at a time (pictured right). My sort of bag. In I go and out comes peg 48 – Scales - plus next to the pleasure angler - Bernard. Is it psychological or is it the fact the Bernard had already baited up and had 12 Skimmers in his net that leads you to think your not going to get the best out of the peg?
A bit of swim clearing before setting up the Normark feeder, a 4 metre whip and the Ronnie rig. The weather looked a bit threatening (pictured right) but stayed dry but windy. The water was like tap water so clear you could see down 2-3 foot. This Lake is deep but the topography is all over the place – lots of big stones. Probably because the Lake was dug by hand!
I fed a ball of GB on the top-set plus one line for the Ronnie rig in 6 foot of water. But started on the mesh feeder at 30 metres, Blow me I had a 1 ½ lb Skimmer as soon as it hit bottom. Bag up time – Not which was it for the next fidgety 15 minutes I didn’t have any indications whatsoever. As there were a few anglers I could see on the feeder I decided to fish for Ronnie’s until I saw then catching. I started to feed hemp and caster over the GB watching the bait slowly sink out of vision. I had a run of small Ronnie’s and  two 12oz Perch, but I think because of the bright skies and water clarity it was hard keeping the fish in the swim. The fishing was hard and only going to get harder. I then hooked the preverbal Carp which put paid to the Ronnie line. So I tried the 4 metre whip up and down in the water only adding a handful of Ronnie’s to 8oz. With about 7lb in the net it was time for the Banana walk the purist anglers were all struggling on the pole with Hughie Evans doing best with 14lb of Skimmers on the feeder. Hughie had only set up two feeders – why two – well that’s what some Pensioners have to do in case they forget where they put one.
Back to the peg and out went the feeder. I do like twitching back but was finding this difficult because I supposed of the stony bottom so added another 5 meters to the clip and had 20 minutes of catching 8-12 Skimmers one a bung. The bites were un-missable. It went quite again. So on went another 5 metres to the clip and sensed the water wasn’t so deep, another but shorter run of Skimmers followed. On went another 5 metres to the clip and I had a 3lb Skimmer on the Whistle.
My Ronnie’s went 6lb 15oz and my Skimmers 17lb 8oz for a match third of 24lb 7oz.
As I suspected Hughie (pictured right) won the match with 31lb 4oz from peg 53. Hughie caught on the GB feeder fished at 40 metres using the usual various hook bait combos. Who would deny Hughie his first math win since his return to match fishing – it certainly won’t be his last. However, if anyone finds a feeder on or near this peg its Hughie’s. Well done matey the cap you lent me wasn’t you lucky one then!!
Result:







Weigh Sheets:







No comments: