Thursday 7 April 2016

Thursday 07/04/2016 - Coffin Dodgers Silvers League - Final Round Eight - Windmill Fishery - Match Lake

Held up going along the access road by Fishery Manager on a power roller repairing the road. Well done matey, about time.

Match eight and last of the Silvers series. I must say Ray Beazley has done a great job running the league especially as he faced a fair few anglers packing in the league as it progressed, however, Ray kept the league top-up, which isn’t an easy job. Well done matey – pint behind the bar.

I was my turn in D section which so far has been the best section out of the four. So with me laying second overall and in the knockout final it was a good section to be in. That said I had been watching the weather all week but couldn’t get the wind to change from West to North, East or South as the wind was predicted to be 16 MPH for most of the day, not good for the top two pegs 28 and 27 smack in the face.

Time to draw and up comes peg 28, Yippee end peg. It’s also a good Ronnie peg.

 Arriving at the peg I wasn’t surprised to find the wind blasting into the peg that said I wouldn’t have swopped – just yet! Once again I found myself next to Steve Jefferies (six matches out of eight). I set up a 4x16 Ronnie rig and a 4x18 Jolly to fish at top-set plus one and later top-set plus two.

The down wind margin was fed with GB laced with maggot as was the near out in front swim. I started on the Ronnie rig with single maggot and it was soon obvious the Ronnie’s had shut up shop, caching small Rudd and the odd small Skimmers. The swim went iffy and I hooked and landed 1 ½ pound F1 which didn’t count followed by an 8oz Mirror carp which also had to be returned. Re-fed and tried the Jolly line where I caught a couple of small Skimmers again on single maggot. However, the freezing cold wind was making presentation difficult in 9 ½ foot of water. The upshot was I kept rotating the two rigs catching the odd fish, but was rewarded with three Crucian Carp 4oz, 8oz and 1lb. With both swims being inhabited with carp I put on six inches on the rig adding a third section after feeding some more laced GB I hooked a couple more small Skimmers but the feed soon attracted more Carp landing a 5lb Common just before the whistle.

I was disappointed the Ronnie’s had a no show and the bloody wind spoiling the days fishing. I weighed 7lb 1oz for a narrow section win and second overall but felt cheated by the wind. I also narrowly beat Steve Dawson to win the knockout. So triple payout.

The match was won by Tony Rixon …see the attached video showing how Tony caught his fish and Ray Bazeley doing the final result and payout.


Full Result:

A Section: Tony Rixon 10-13-0 peg 2
A Section: John Barker 4-04-0 peg 4
B Section: Eddie Wynne 4-12-0 peg 6
B Section: Dave Wride 4-0-0 peg 7
C Section: Steve Dawson 6-08-0 peg 22
C Section: Dave Willmott 3-0-0 peg 20
D Section: Mike Nicholls 7-01-0 peg 28
D Section: John Smith 6-02-0 peg 24

Weigh Sheet:




















Overall League Result:


No comments: