Thursday 29 October 2015

Thursday 29/10/2015 - Harescombe Cost Cutter - Match Lake

I wasn’t sure if the fishing times had changed due to the clocks changing last weekend so left early. As it happened I arrived earlier that planned due to it being half term! Times were the same 9 draw fish 10 to 3 spot on. Breakfast in the café (pictured right), where I was joined by Big Al Oram.

With only seven fishing Andy said he spread us out. In to the draw bag and out comes peg 16. It was a double take, yes on the natural bank in the far left hand corner. I must say that I have fancied the peg from my first visit but its not often pegged. However, I was surprised to find I was the only angler with someone on the next peg 15 (pictured right), on the other side of the bridge. I still had plenty of room so only greedy to say more.

The guy on peg 15 set up a feeder and before the start practiced casting it in my peg. He did apologised explaining that he doesn’t often fish the method often – I believe him!! A real gentleman though. Looking up from my peg I could see the café (pictured right).

The strong wind was blowing directly into me; combined with the rain it wasn’t going to be pleasant.  I set up the usual two rigs – a 4x14 Jolly to fish out in front at top-set plus one section and a 4x10 Yoof for both margins.

The swim out in front was to be fished over pellet, the RH margin to fish over caster and the LH margin to fish over pellet with some meat. All hook baits to be 6 or 4mm meat

On the Jolly the presentation was spot on with the float going against the tow (away from me) and slightly to the left. The hydraulics on these types of canals are unpredictable, so best to understand this before feeding. After potting in some pellet short I was soon catching F1’s and had a great first hour, but as the wind subsided the slower it became. I tried the RH margin but the presentation wasn’t that good due to the float coming at me and out from the bank. The LH margin was much better where I caught three proper Carp to 4lb. The upshot was I swapped between the three lines to keep the F1’s coming. I abandoned the Jolly line after three hours focusing on both margins for the last two hours.

I weighed 85lb 4oz for first on the day only 2oz ahead of youngster George Organ (pictured upper right). Well done lad. Another memorable day.

Full Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 85lb 4oz peg 16
  2. George Organ 85lb 2oz peg 8
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: