Thursday 8 October 2015

Thursday 08/10/2015 - Harescombe Fishery - Cost Cutter - Match Lake

So the CEO of VW in USA stated today that VW senior management was unaware of the software issues, stating It was implemented by two rouge software Engineers. What a load of lies. The QA system and procedures that VW should and are most certainly operating would not permit individual action without design reviews with pathway to senior management. If I had one of their cars that had software issue I would demand a complete refund because any modifications are sure to lead to lower performance outside specification.



Two pots decided to dip his toe and paste at Harescombe Fishery and kindly picked me up, arriving in plenty of time for breakfast.

My current camera lens has lost a lot of its coating so yesterday I bought a new one – Nikon Coolpix S9900. So plenty of try outs today!

In to the draw box and out comes peg 12. No emotions as you get a great days fishing off any peg at this venue. Two Pots Bailey drew next to me on end peg 14 and with plenty of room I expected great things from this great angler. On the other next peg 11 was that nice man Rich Heatley, who thinks 20lb is in fact 40lb, must sell him some spuds.

Set up the usual two rigs – 4x14 Jolly to fish at 4 metres at 1 o clock in 5 foot of water with 0.18 main line and 0.14 hook length to the reliable light hook -  16 Tubertini 808 which can accommodate any bait in the bag. The other rig was a 4x10 Yoof for the RH margin in 30 inches of water with exactly the same lines and hook.

I started on the Jolly with meat on the hook over kindered hard 4’s. It was soon apparent that the venue wasn’t going to fish as well as previous matches, catching just a couple of F1’s during the first 10 minutes. I switched to the semi-hard pellet hook bait and had a Sepp Blatter (a Gudgeon that was just hanging on), followed by a couple of Ronnie’s. This bait was abandoned for the remainder. Meanwhile Glenn appeared to be bagging at 14 metres over to the corner of the island on banded hair-rigged pellet, with plenty of striking and splashing going on. I tried the margin with meat which I had been loose feeding with pellet since the start only to catch small Silvers. I was now buggered as to what to do. So got the rest of the 13 metre pole out and using the margin rig went out to the island pile boards again with meat over a smidgen of pellet. I had a run of F1’s and small Carp to 3lb – that’s better. I then got broke on a fish. So whilst I re-tied the hook I fed some pellet – mistakes as I started to struggle, managing to pick off the odd F1 and Chub. I thought I had fed them up in the water so persevered without feed to no avail - interesting. In the meanwhile Glenn was still thrashing around striking and foul hooking F1’s, the steam was rising. I wasn’t prepared to sacrifice anymore of my shoulder to fish 13 metres so decided to fish out the match in the margin with meat. I decided to stop loose feeding the pellet and kindered the feed instead sneaking it in quietly. This seemed to work because I did have a good last hour catching F1’s and the odd Carp and the usual Barbel.
 
My two nets weighed in at 67lb 12oz for second overall which was a pleasant surprise.

The match was won by Tony Rixon (pictured right with the runner up) with 96lb 9oz from peg 22. Tony caught … see his blog for details.

Two Post came a frustrating third – not sure the hair rig was right. The paste didn’t get much of a run out today.

Full Result:

  1. Tony Rixon 96-09-0 peg 22
  2. Mike Nicholls 67-12-0 peg 12
  3. Glenn Bailey 56-15-0 peg 14
  4. Stuart Barnett 48-09-0 peg 3
  5. Terry Girdelstone 47-09-0 peg 23
  6. Rich Heatley 41-05-0 peg 11
Weigh Sheet:



The Pay-out:




1 comment:

The Last Gasp Gardener said...

Yet another good read, its always nice when you pull the nets and have more than you thought.