Sunday 21 June 2015

Sunday 21/06/2015 - Ivy House Open - Match Lake

Bela was counting the road kill again so signs of hunger – Squirrel, Magpie (yummy pie) and Rabbit. One of Karen’s big Breakfasts it was then.

Still a bit jaded from last week’s holiday at Viaduct. Into the draw bag and out comes peg 2. Would normally be happy with this but the wind was blowing in at me at some knots. Presentation for Silvers was going to be difficult especially as the float would go through with the wind. My thinking was to fish for Carp.

Apparently it wasn’t enough to travel with Bela but I had to look at him for another six hours with him on peg 45.

I set up a Skimmer rig comprising a 4x14 Jolly to be fished at 7 metres, plus a 0.5 Paste rig to fish over the same line (this rig stayed dry). A 0.3 paste float for the LH margin at 5 metres (this rig stayed dry) and finally the Ronnie rig for caster and Ronnies.

Whilst tackling up the wind caught my pole and rather than let it find a safe place to land I tried to stop it with my foot only to crush the number 5 section against the stone platform – bugger. So exchanged it for the margin number 5 and carried on.

I started on the Jolly with semi-hard 4 over micro, it was soon apparent that the presentation was awful with the float zooming through with the wind. Holding back with the float at 45 degrees produced a couple of Ronnie’s. I hate the wind. It was going to be a difficult day. I switched to the Ronnie rig and started to catch Ronnie’s with single caster over loose fed caster. Of course the wind is a double edge sword, because it was so bright the wind was giving some cover. Feeding was a nightmare because the wind was so strong I had to feed heavy when it subsided which isn’t the best way to feed Ronnie’s. On many occasions I couldn’t cast my 4x16 rig further than half way. Bloody wind, I did catch reasonably well nonetheless. I was kept busy to say the least I caught Skimmers and Ronnie’s on the drop and if the rig touched bottom I would catch small Perch – still a bite and a couple of ounces to the tally. I fed exactly one pint of casters but could have done with more because of all the miss feeding I had done due to the bloody wind.

Come the weigh in I had 15lb of Skimmers and 25lb odd of Ronnie’s and Perch for a Silvers total of 40lb 14oz for 2nd in the Silvers and 6th overall. I felt satisfied with the catch considering the conditions I fished under.

The match was won by Mark Kimber (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 68lb from peg 33. Mark caught shallow with small pieces of worm on the hook fished over loose fed 6’s. Mark fed light feeding only one pint throughout.

The Silvers was won by Gary (0.8) Etheridge with 56lb 10oz of Skimmers from peg 9. Gary caught on corn at 5 metres. Apparently feeding two large tins, didn’t know he carried this much bait with him!!

Full Result:

  1. Mark Kimber 68-0-0 peg 33
  2. Andrew C 58-06-0 peg 31
  3. Gary Etheridge 56-10-0 peg 9
  4. Dave 44-05-0 peg 39
  5. Red 41-08-0 peg 35
  6. Mike Nicholls 40-14-0 peg 2
Top Silvers:

  1. Gary Etheridge 56-10-0 peg 9
  2. Mike Nicholls 40-14-0 peg 2
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: