Monday 8 June 2015

07/06/2015 - Ivy House Open - Match Lake

After a heavy Friday night out during which Bela got absolutely Stella’ed mainly because he had some preliminaries at home before going out. I must admit I spent most of Saturday on the sofa.

On the way to Ivy House Bela and I counted the number of road kills (I think Bela was hungry) - Seagull, Fox, Magpie, Pheasant.

After breakfast we had a walk around. It looked to me like the Carp were pairing up which I thought tended to a stalking/thrashing match for those that do it. So it would be silvers for me then.

I drew peg 41 which thankfully is a good Skimmer/Silvers peg. However, there was a Festival on all week and lots of Skimmers had been caught plus it had been windy most of the week. What greeted us was bright sunshine and flat calm water, so I was already thinking Ronnie’s might take the Silvers today as they have spawned and have been feeding well.

Bela drew peg 29 for the third time which I thought would suit him because with the Polaroid’s on I could see plenty of big shadows lurking at 16 metres.

I set up two paste rigs one to be fished at top set plus two and the other for the LH margin. However, these rigs didn’t get loaded with paste nor got wet.

I set up the Ronnie rig for caster over caster and a 4x14 Jolly for semi-hard 4’s over wetted micro also to fish at top-set plus two.

I started on the Jolly and after half hour I only manage to catch small Skimmers and Ronnie’s it was a bite a chuck but without any bigger Skimmers it would be difficult to build a weight this far out.  I couldn’t see anyone catching the bigger Skimmers; in fact I couldn’t see anyone catching anything. Bela behind me said he had two Carp and he couldn’t see anyone catching Skimmers either.

Decision made, head down Ronnie rig for the rest of the match with single caster on a 16 – 808. During the remainder of the match I caught Ronnie’s steady to 8oz adding five decent Skimmers. I fed about ¾ pint of casters all through the match and by light feeding I managed not to hook a Carp which were continually patrolling up and down in front of me.

I finished the match with 34lb 2oz for first in the Silvers. I reckon I had about 14lb of Skimmers and 20lb of Ronnie’s (me pictured right with my catch being photo-bombed my Fishery owners Son Peter).

Runner up in the Silvers was Joe Thompson who like me couldn’t catch Skimmers on pellet instead he changed to a bunch of dead maggot hook bait, taking some better Skimmers late on. It was a close call.

The match was won by Bela Bakos (Selfie right with the Silvers winner) with 72lb 8oz from peg 29 (two wins from this peg now for him). As I suspected Bela caught Stalking/Thrashing and late on caught some Stockies long down his end bank margin.

It’s twice now that Bela and I have had double bubble on this great venue. So it was right only to have double Pinky Ponk in Bar Gar-age!!

Full Result:

  1. Bela Bakos 72-08-0 peg 29
  2. M Gale 55-04-0 peg 24
  3. Gary Etheridge 48-12-0 peg 3
  4. John Fuidge 46-14-0 peg 37
  5. John 46-08-0 peg 33
  6. Dean Malin 43-15-0 peg 44
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 34-02-0 peg 41
  2. Joe Thompson 32-04-0 peg 46
Weigh Sheet:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike, any chance of a breakdown of your elastic, mainline, hooklength etc for both carp and silvers?

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Rig:

0.18 G-Line for mainline
0.14 G-Line tied direct to main line with Surgeons knot
Size 16 808 Hook standard spade end blood knot 9 turns (minimum 7 turns)
4x14 Wire stem with fibre tip float

Elastics:

Elastics: Middy Blue Budgee or Yellow G Range