Sunday 23 November 2014

Sunday 23/11/2014 - Todber Manor Autumn League - Round 3 - Park Lake

Breakfast in Canards Well was much better this week because the buffet was up and running when we got there. All down to Kim.

It was our turn in C section. Chris Fox had produced an Xcel spread sheet analysing the section pegs. Not sure about this as fish can swim especially this time of year with various environmental condition changes.

I drew peg 23 which I was told according to Mr. Xcel that it was the worse peg in the section with Fabio DNW’ing from it last match.

I had Tim Clarke for company on peg 25 was who salivating because of the Carp swirling about in his LH margin. Well out of reach for him and me because the rules are not to fish pass the next pallet which was 11.5 metres away and with the fish some further 10 metres away the rule would not impact me!

I was pleased to find I had plenty of water to fish in. I set up two 4x12 Jolly’s – one with a black top and the other red, otherwise they were the similar. One was to be fished at 10 metres at 2-o-clock and the other 5 metres out from the platform on peg 24.

I started on the 2-o-clock line with a soft 4 on the hook over kindered micro. I was soon landing a F1. I followed this with a 3lb Skimmer. Then I foul hooked an 8lb Carp in the tail which took me an age to land. A struggle then ensued. So I decided to see if there were any number of Silvers in the peg and mixed up some GB which was fed over which now would be my throw away line and with double pinkie on the hook I had a 1lb Skimmer and five Ronnie’s. That was it other than indications from tiny fish.

That was enough of that, time to switch to the 5 metre line with my beloved pellet attack and make that work or catch nought. So out went the other rig which needed to be set 5 inches deeper. Subsequently I caught small Carp to 3lb steady until the end. I do enjoy this sort of fishing.

I weighed 51lb 12oz for a section third and 5th overall.

The match was won by Ashley Tompkins (pictured below centre with some of his catch) with 115lb 5oz from peg 28. Ashley initially caught over to the far bank landing eight quick Carp. Then a couple followed from his RH margin before switching to down the track where he caught the majority of his Carp. Ashley caught all his fish on 6mm meat.


Bela and I decided that we would have fish and chips on the way back in Shepton Mallet and also follow the Sat Nav home. Unfortunately, they weren't conducive as we ended up following the A30 - A350 - A36 to Bath which is the quickest way back to ours. However, all was not lost we stopped in the Bell Inn just outside Bath where Bela had the "Bell Burger", what a whopper. Quarter way through my Gammon I looked up and Bela's plate was clean I looked under the table thinking he had dropped half of it. He look like the Cat got the cream!

Full Result:

  1. Ashley Tompkins 115-05-0 peg 28
  2. Alan Oram 74-04-0 peg 38
  3. Tim Clarke 61-09-0 peg 25
  4. Dan White 54-02-0 peg 13
  5. Mike Nicholls 51-12-0 peg 23
  6. Ken Rayner 51-10-0 peg 11

No comments: