Sunday 16 November 2014

Sunday 16/11/2014 - Ivy House Open - New Canal

Yesterday was my last visit to Avon Angling due to it closing down (pictured right – last days blues). It was a sad day as I have shopped at Avon Angling since it opened some 30 odd years ago. During that time I have had excellent service, never being let down with bait, Tony has always managed to cobbled something together even though having been let down by suppliers. As is common knowledge Avon Angling was never stocked to excess and one of Tony’s favourite sayings was “if I don’t have it you don’t need it”. I’m not sure where I am going to shop now – unless – some local tackle shop realises the potential earning power of Tony. Many thanks to John and Tony for all they have done for me. Did you know that John “The Gimp” Bradford has never watch the film Pulp Fiction!!

I would normally have been fish the Westerleigh Winter league today however, because I will miss a match I decided to give it a miss. I had plenty of alternatives but settled on Ivy House hoping to reserve in their winter league if that failed fish the open on the New Canal.

It was another easy drive to the venue. Unfortunately, I couldn’t reserve so opted for the canal even though there was only the seven of us – coin to be won and lost.

In to the draw tin and out comes peg 3. Apparently it was the wrong end of the Canal. Next to me on peg 1 was Jamie Compton who lasted three hours! The other side peg 5 was Chris Cottrell.

Not a lot to say. Started on a 4x14 jolly at 7 metres using 4mm soft pellet over micro down the track expecting Silvers and hooked a 6 lb Carp second put in which I pulled out of at the net. I didn’t realise at the time that this would cost me coin. Five minutes later I landed a 4 lb Carp. That was it for an hour when I decided to feed some GB on a new line at 2-o-clock and with a singe dead red on the hook I didn’t get a bite. I had set up a 4x10 TBF float for the far bank with my full 13 metres only getting me with 1 metre. I did have 2 “Stockies” losing another two foul hookers plus a small Tench. I tried allsorts to get a bite – none of it worked. Fishing 13 metres paid its toll on my body so with an hour to go I packed up and had a walk around getting the scales to weigh in quickly as soon as the whistle sounded.

My three Carp weighed 7lb 8oz and my Tench 8oz for a total of 8lb.

The match was won by Junior Josh Clarke (pictured upper right with his catch) with 22lb 14oz from end peg on the day 16. Josh caught on maggot over to the far bank and down his margin. It’s nice to see a junior not only out fishing but winning.

Josh for obvious reasons doesn’t do the pools so the spoils of the day went to runner up Chris Cottrell (pictured right) with 18lb 13oz.

Result:

  1. Josh Clarke 22-14-0 peg 16
  2. Chris Cottrell 18-13-0 peg 5
 Top Silver:

1.       Alan Smith 4-04-0 peg 14

Weigh Sheet:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WELL DONE JOSH - COULD WE HAVE A PHOTO FOR THE IVY HOUSE WEBSITE PLEASE

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Please provide your email address and I would only be too pleased to sens a copy of Josh to you. The lad did well.