Thursday 30 October 2014

Thursday 30/10/1024 - Coffin Dodgers at Emerald Fishery - Emerald Pool

Because it was half term we were down on attendees with 11 booked in. I thought I would travel down via the motorway thinking it would be quiet, but it wasn’t, came back via A38 but that was just as bad for traffic. I breakfasted in the Hill Top CafĂ© which went down very well.

I was asked to peg the match out, but found Mike Jones had already done it by time I got there. That was until Terry Bruton decided to move the disabled pegs around. Then the Gimp decided to change the able pegs around. We finally got there!

I pulled peg 4 which was halfway along the far bank, happy with this although the peg is a bit of a bird cage. For company I had Bill Ferris on peg 5 and gentleman Dave on peg 3.

I was soon set up with one Ronnie rig and a 4x14 Jolly. I wouldn’t normally set the Jolly up but because the aerator was causing the water to flow (about Newbridge rate) the aerator was to be left running all through the match. Added to this there was an occasional nasty wing blowing with the flow.

I had mixed up some black Lake and fed a ball laced with caster at 4 metres at 12 o clock. I started on the Ronnie rig with caster over caster at 11 o clock. I had a few Skimmers to 1lb on this but found the presentation wasn’t good. Bill Ferris was bagging on worm hook bait. I kept switching between the caster line and GB line with the Ronnie rig to keep a few Skimmers and Hybrids coming. I topped up the GB regularly but fished over the caster until it settled. At 1 o clock my swim died and so had Bills. I thought I had clawed back his quick start. For some reason without any prior thought I started loose feeding wetted micro over the GB line, feeding three handfuls. I decided to give the Jolly a chance adding another section taking me to 6 metres where I kindered in some soft 4’s expecting to catch a Carp or two with soft 4’s on the hook. Surprise surprise I started to catch Skimmers of all sizes up to
1lb. That made me switch back to 4 metre line over the loose fed micro with soft 4 on the hook where I had a good hour again catching small Skimmers plus the odd Tench. I kept feeding the caster line hoping the absent Hybrids may make a late entry. I dropped feeding the GB but maintained the loose fed micro and by switching between 4 and 6 metre lines I kept them coming. Into the last hour I switched back to the caster on the Ronnie rig and found some Hybrids. However, the Carp took a fancy to my caster landing six accidentals and one Gold fish by the end!

My Silvers weighed 45lb 13oz (pictured upper right) which was top Silvers weight and when combined with my Carp weight of 21lb 2oz gave me a double, winning the match with a total of 66lb 15oz.

Dave “Gentleman” Bacon (pictured right) was runner up with 60lb 8oz from peg 3.

Although the Fishery had an off day the fishing was still amazing I can't wait to get back in two weeks time. If anyone wants to fish contact Mike Jones.

Full Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 66-15-0 peg 4
  2. Dave Bacon 60-08-0 peg 3
  3. Pete Greenslade 54-10-0 peg 2
  4. John Bradford 36-04-0 peg 7
  5. Mike Jones 35-06-0 peg 6
  6. Bill Ferris 34-08-0 peg 5
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 45-13-0 peg 4
  2. Mike Jones 34-0-0 peg 6
  3. Bill Ferris 43-08-0 peg 5 

Weigh Sheet:


No comments: