Friday 24 October 2014

23/10/2014 - Bathampton AA Over 55's and Disabled - Withy Pool

Now that the Kingswood over 55’s golden peg has been won Bob Warren was back today with the Coffin Dodgers. We breakfasted at ASDA which went down well.

It was the turn of Withy Pool to entertain the Dodgers today. I haven’t fished the Pool since last year, so an unknown quantity. We arrived an hour early and were amazed to find that the Withy car park was nearly full. However, as Bob now needs a close draw I was allowed to park in the disabled area.

Dave Wride joined the ranks of the Coffin Dodgers today who is familiar with the Lakes as he regularly fishes the BAA Silvers League.

With 31 fishing some of the more difficult pegs would be in the draw. I was hoping to avoid these. Alas not, out comes peg 38. The same peg I had last time here when I did manage 5lb of Silvers and two Carp to sneak in the frame. Arriving at the peg I was surprised ton see how clear the water was even though the level is only a foot down. The weather conditions were perfect for the time of year.

I set up the three rigs – a 4x16 Jolly for the Silvers, a Ronnie rig and a paste rig for the RH margin (no depth at all on the left side).

I started on the soft 4mm pellet over a tiny bit of Micro at 7 metres and after half an hour I had just the one bite, a 4oz Skimmer. I had been feeding casters in the RH margin so when over it with the Ronnie rig only to add a ½ oz Perch. I then went in with a whole Dendrabena on the paste float and on the drop had a 1lb 12oz Perch. After trying a long GB line, maggot line and caster line without any indication I decided to have a walk around. Although the Lake was generally fishing poor some areas were fishing better than others. On the way back John Smith was playing a double figure Common Carp (pictured right) which he did finally manage to land.

Opposite me I had Radio Shepton Mallets Charlie Barnes and side kick Harry Muir for company. So I was entertained whilst I sat there in the RH margin with paste or double Dendrabena on the paste float with very little happening. Charlie said I would have nothing to write about tonight!! He was nearly right. All I added in the remaining 5 hours was a speared ½ oz Ronnie.

When I pulled my net out the tiny Perch and Ronnie were gone. It didn’t affect my weight of 2lb as they were probably inside the Perch!!

The match was won by Paul Haines (pictured right) with 54lb 9oz from peg 53. Paul had a torrid time losing fish mainly because he wasn’t geared up for the big fish to be found in this area of the Pool. To add insult to injury Paul broke his Diawa pole catching it in the newly installed Otter fence, costing him £300!! Paul caught over to the corner of the opposite bank at 13 metres landing six, losing six on banded pellet over loose fed pellet.

The Silvers was won by Barry Fitchew (pictured lower right) with 11lb 10oz of mainly Roach. Barry caught over three lines, two GB lines (one with some worm in) and a caster line with either pieces of worm or caster hook bait.

Have to mention Pete Turner’s 2lb + Eel he caught (pictured bottom right arm wrestling) which lifted Pete to third in the Silvers. Pete did lose a Bream near the end which would have pushed him further up the frame. Pete was another casualty of pole smashing.

Charlie if you can’t catch fish you can always write about, even if it’s about someone else!!

Finally, accepting there were quite a few more pegs in today’s match which probably reduced the overall results there is no doubt in my mind that the fishing (Carp and Silvers) on this Pool has for some reason gradually declined since 2007.

Full Result:

  1. Paul Haines 54-09-0 peg 53
  2. Bob Warren 41-08-0 peg 66
  3. Dave Gillard 34-12-0 peg 46
  4. Mike Key 32-04-0 peg 49
  5. Pete Greenslade 31-10-0 peg 63
  6. John Smith 28-13-0 peg 35
Top Silvers:

  1. Barry Fitchew 11-10-0 peg 57
  2. Dave Wride 9-12-0 peg 44
  3. Pete Turner 9-04-0 peg 43

2 comments:

Mike Jones said...

Mike, 31 fished today, obviously your hand was shaking when you photographed the second weigh sheet, you cut off the last five pegs that were opposite you. obviously Charlie was so quiet you forgot about him!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

You are right as usual I missed five blanks!!