Thursday 21 November 2013

Thursday 21/11/2013 - Bathampton AA Over 55's and Disabled - Withy Pool

The last match on Withy for some while because the Silvers league unfortunately is to be on Bridge Pool only. I will miss fishing Withy.
 
Mike Jones had 30 booked in but lucky for him a couple cried off making peg selection a little easier.
 
I was hoping to draw a peg out of the cold north wind, there were plenty. In to the draw bag and out comes peg 42. It’s one of the narrowest pegs on the pool and has its day with regards Carp and Silvers, but hasn’t produced much this term. Arriving at the peg it was one of three pegs with the wind blowing into it – bugger, it was going to be a cold day. Two pegs up was Martin Alexander who for the first time for years managed to pull a bird (pictured right).
 
One advantage of this peg is that you don’t need much pole with 5 metre being adequate. I set up a corn rig a Silverfox/Corbett 0.4 gram set at 3 foot for the RH margin, and a 4 x16 Jolly which needed another two foot of line adding due to the water level being only 6 inches from being back to being full.
 
I was expecting it to fish hard as the rain water had knocked a lot of the colour out of the water, so it was to be Pinkie and Skimmer GB at 5 metres and corn over caster in the RH margin (down wind). On the whistle I fed a pot of caster in the margin and a small tight ball of GB laced with Pinkie.
 
It took awhile to get my first bite then it was a 2-3oz Skimmer or Ronnie a put in for a hour. It then slowed so I re-fed with the same and managed to keep a few more coming but as time when b the harder it got until Tim Ford arrived and I had two good Skimmers and a Hybrid. I then had a quite spell which I now believe was disruption by Carp as in the last half hour I hooked a large Carp which after playing it for a while bust the 0.14 hook length. I think the hook length broke because it had a fair bite of use over the match weakening the interface between the line and spade end. Time to try the margin with corn but I think the water was so clear that the Carp wouldn’t come in so close. So after feeding GB for the last time and after three Ronnie’s I hooked another Carp which luckily was only a small one 7lb 9oz which was landed just after the “All out”.
 
My Silvers weighed 10-08-0 bringing my total to 18lb 1oz. This put me fourth in the Silvers and sixth overall.
 
The match was won by Bob “Medium Sliced” Price (pictured right with his catch) with four Carp for 39lb 8oz from peg 35. Two consecutive wins now for this peg. Bob caught down his RH margin with various baits.
 
The Silvers was won by Chris Rolfe (pictured right with his catch) with 18lb 3oz from peg 48. Chris caught at 11.5 metres fishing red maggot over GB. Chris’s catch included an unseasonable 4lb Tench.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Bob Price 39-08-0 peg 35
  2. Charlie Barnes 37-11-0 peg 66
  3. Alan Jones 20-06-0 peg 47
  4. Paul Dicks 18-14-0 peg 61
  5. Chris Rolfe 18-03-0 peg 48
  6. Mike Nicholls 18-01-0 peg 42
Top Silvers:
 
  1. Chris Rolfe 18-03-0 peg 48
  2. Paul Dicks 12-08-0 peg 61
  3. Alan Jones 11-06-0 peg 47
  4. Mike Nicholls 10-08-0 peg 42
Weigh Sheets:
 
 

No comments: