Sunday 17 November 2013

Sunday 17/11/2013 - Viaduct Silvers League - Round Four - Campbell, Carey and Lodge

How many times have we told our Children and Grand Children to watch the swing in the play ground? I wish I heeded this myself Friday when one of my Granddaughters jumped off the swing I was pushing only for the swing to hit me above the eye – more plastic stitches!!
 
Bela and I went out for a beer yesterday to watch the rugby we ended up in the Oldland Chinese and both ended up with tickly tummies all day – never, ever going in there again. I said the same seven years ago!
 
Breakfast in Canards Well and after we nearly had our Sunday lunch passing three road kill sheep. Bela refused to stop.
 
In to the draw bag and out comes peg 118 on Campbell. I wasn’t unhappy about the peg as it has been above average so far in the league.
 
I set up three rigs one 4x14 jolly with 16 hook for fishing at 11.5 metres at 2 o clock and the same except with a 20 hook to be fished at 1 o clock. Finally I set up a 4x12 jolly for the LH margin, which I didn’t expect to use.
 
The 2 o clock swim was for caster over caster and the other long swim was for GB laced with Pinkie. The same rig was OK for the 5 metre line out in front for the Ronnie’s on Pinkie over GB and Pinkie. Having fed all the lines except the margin I started on the short line with Pinkie on the hook. I started to catch small Ronnie’s straight away, but they were small and shipping back even this close was too slow. So as no one was really catching much I set up a 4 metre whip with a small waggler. This sped things up. But my bubble burst when Gary O Shea on next peg 119 had a run of Perch to 4lb down the edge at 7 metres on caster. So I went out over the caster but could only catch more Ronnie’s. Interestingly enough I couldn’t get a bite over the Pinkie and GB long line.
 
I thought I would try and catch some Perch down to the Left up to the brambles. With double caster on the hook and a few casters in the kinder cup I had five small Carp in five put in with fifteen minutes before I gave it up. The problem was that the Carp are small here so you have to go careful in case it’s a Tench or Perch they weren’t.
 
After a few more Ronnie’s on the Whip I tried the long caster line which I had by now fed ½ pint of casters only to catch more Ronnie’s.  I decided to sit on double maggot over long Pinkie and GB line and not a bite although I was getting some liners. I switched to single caster over the line and had two Tench and a Skimmer straight off. It went quite so I re fed and pestered the Ronnie’s again. Back put with single caster and all I could now catch on both long lines was Ronnie’s.
 
I weighed 10lb 4oz for a section 5th .That said it was close for the section double defaults!!
 
The match was won by Tony Rixon from peg 94 with 26lb 11oz. See his blog for the full story…
 
Runner up was Gary O Shea (pictured right with his catch of mainly big Perch) with 19lb 7oz from peg 119 (next to me). As explained earlier Gary’s catch consisted of mainly Perch.
 
Bela did well from Monk peg 64 on Lodge picking up a section win and 2nd lake overall with 15lb 8oz. However, Bela didn’t make it easy for himself. Some dog walkers came past whilst he was fishing the waggler so he jammed the rod under his leg whilst he lifted is pole out of the way. The rod then got pulled in by a Carp which towed it around, until Matt Parsons two pegs down caught the rods top eye with his straight lead. Bela played the Carp and Matt netted it for him. The waggler was rested for the rest of the match!!
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Tony Rixon 26-11-0 peg 94
  2. Gary O’Shea 19-07-0 peg 119
  3. Adrian Jeffery 18-04-0 peg 124
  4. Steve Tucker 18-03-0 peg 90
  5. Steve Jackson 15-13-0 peg 100
  6. Mark Brennan 15-11-0 peg 55
  7. Steve Kedge 15-09-0 peg 103
  8. Bela Bakos 15-08-0 peg 64
 Weigh Sheets:
 
 

No comments: