Monday 4 November 2013

Sunday 03/11/2013 - Viaduct Silvers League - Round Three - Campbell, Carey and Lodge Lakes

Mrs Helen Long (picture pending) thought I was a bit harsh about her platforms on Campbell Lake. Today I was drawn on Carey and it was the second best platform that I have fished from – no swimming today!
 
Apparently the chef (Nick) from Canards Well is looking to take over the Viaduct cafĂ© in the New Year. If the food is as good as we had today it should be popular especially as he expecting keep the price for a full breakfast to £5.
 
In to the draw tin and out comes peg 94. I was reasonably happy with this but have had good and bad days from this peg. I set up two 4x14 jolly’s, one for double caster on a 16 - 808 hook the other for single maggot or double Pinkie on a 20 – 808. The usual Ronnie rig was set up which I was hoping would be my main attack. Finally I set up a 4x12 Jolly for the RH margin in anticipation of Perch on double caster (this rig stayed dry).
 
Over the last few matches the fishing has been slowly adjusting to the seasonal changes so I decided to reduce the initial GB feed and build the swim slowly and not feed neat caster until I was sure the “Water Pigs” weren’t active. So I initially fed a walnut ball of GB with a few Pinkies at 7 metres out in front – negative perhaps but you can’t take it out once it in. I started on the Ronnie’s rig with single caster over loose fed caster and after catching just three in the first 15 minutes it was disappointing to find that they weren’t going to feed in any numbers. I put this down to that the colour has dropped out a bit, plus some very heavy overnight rain. So ii was out over the GB line with singe dead red and I caught straight off small Skimmers (4oz) and small Ronnie’s. I had no evidence that the Carp were particularly active so fed a pot of Caster at 7 metres at 3 o clock. After upping the GB feed I tries the double caster and had a 12oz Perch, a 6oz Skimmer and a Ronnie before it died. So after re-feeding it was back out on the GB which again the up a mix of small Skimmers and Ronnie’s. I kept topping up ever increasing the amount of feed.  Did finally get three decent Skimmers to 1 ½ lb. As there was some blowing over the caster which I was hoping was Skimmers but deep down knew it more likely to be Carp. Correct, two hook lengths later I re-fed the line with a big pot of casters and abandoned it. I suspect the fed didn’t last long as more Carp were soon blowing over them. Back out on the GB line with double Pinkie and a few 6ox Skimmers until we arrive at Carp o clock and in the last hour I didn’t have another Silver just Carp – bugger. I think if I could have kept a few more fish coming in this last hour I would have finished higher that 4th in the section with my 14lb 6oz as only 20 lb won the section.

I think I was lucky to escape further chaos from Carp intrusions, because the Thursday Cost cutter was won from my peg with 248lb!!
The match was won by “Little” Joe McMahon (pictured right) with 40lb 11oz catch of Tench from peg 110 on Campbell lake. Joe caught on double caster over loose fed caster down to the tree stump to his left. If there is any angling manufactures/agents wanting to sponsor a good young angler they need not look any further than Joe. I thought I had best mention this as Joe doesn't always keep his blog up to date.

Full Result:
 
  1. Joe McMahon 40-11-0 peg 110
  2. Phil Cardwell 33-10-0 peg 77
  3. Andy Neal 23-14-0 peg 127
  4. Gary O’Shea 22-09-0 peg 85
  5. Tony Rixon 21-15-0 peg 119
  6. Mash 21-06-0 peg 78
Weigh Sheets:
 
 

No comments: