Wednesday 14 August 2013

Wednesday 14/08/2013 - Avon Angling Top Six Open - Viaduct - Campbell Lake

Another sell out for the ever popular short pole matches. This time the top six. Today I travelled with paste matey Glenn Bailey and after a breakfast in Woody’s it was in to the draw tin. The first couple of try’s I pull two tickets stuck together with both lots being return until I pulled a single ticket. Yippee, peg 121 for the first time. The numbers on times I have seen anglers weigh in vast weights of Tench from this peg from the margins with me wishing I had drawn it. Many times these Silvers were accidental whilst in the search of Carp. So hopefully it was today my turn.
 
As I had only had paste I set up two rigs one to be fished at 5 metres out in front and two more for both margins, initially top sets only.
 
I started by feeding a full pot of wetted 4’s at 5 metres and  the same size of pot with wetted micro into the RH margin whilst loose feeding the LH margin.
 
I started out in front and found it quite. So it was in to the LH Margin and a Tench first put in, then I lost a foul hooked Common Carp. Back in only to find that the small Silver fish had moved in making impossible to keep the paste on for long. Over to the RH margin and another couple of Tench until once again the Ronnie’s pestered me to oblivion. Although I kept trying the margins I could only add another two Tench and three Skimmers. The upshot was I spent too much time buggering around trying to catch Tench when they never had a chance of a look in. Much harder bait like corn or hard pellet might have improved things, but I doubt it.
 
By kindering wetted micro at 5 metres with paste I kept a few big Carp coming in and out from trying the margin. I landed about 19 for a total of 137lb 14oz and my disappointing Silvers 13lb 14oz. For a total of 150lb 15oz. Hindsight tells me I should have concentrated on the Carp today. However, I did finish up 5th in Silvers and 7th in the match plus a section pick up by default thanks to Phil Harding.
 
The match was won by Tom Thick (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 230lb 1oz from peg 111. Tom caught on banded hard 6mm pellet fished over 4 mm pellet. Tom fed about 2 pints of hard 4’s through out the match.
 
The Silvers was won by Joe McMahon from peg 123 with 30lb of mainly Skimmers with a smattering of Tench, Joe caught out in front and down his LH margin using 8mm meat over meat.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Tom Thick 230-01-0 peg 111
  2. Paul Greenwood 201-02-0 peg 115
  3. Phil Harding 184-0-0 peg 118
  4. Lee Werrett 180-03-0 peg 112
  5. Craig Edmonds 172-06-0 peg 134
  6. Glenn Bailey 162-09-0 peg 135
  7. Mike Nicholls 150-15-0 peg 121
 
Top Silvers:
 
  1. Joe McMahon 30-0-0 peg 123
  2. John Bradford 22-14-0 peg 130
  3. Lee Werrett 17-03-0 peg 112
 
Weigh Sheets Follow:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: