Thursday 8 August 2013

Thursday 08/08/2013 - Viaduct Cost Cutter - Campbell and Carey Lakes

I am now the proud Granddad of my first Grandson – Oscar Lee – I am gradually getting use to the name! With the visit down to Brighton to help out son Mark for a week, plus a couple of hospital appointments I was itching to get back to the bank, so choose to go down to the Viaduct cost cutters and Skivers match. The match attracted another good turn out of 30 +.
 
I was hoping to have a day on the Ronnie’s as my hands are still a problem. So Carey Lake would be my choice. So the coffee tin was kind to me putting me on peg 99.
 
Arriving at the peg I could see plenty of feeding Carp – down and up in the water, which isn’t what I expected or wanted as it is a good Skimmer peg.
 
So two rigs – the Ronnie rig for caster over caster and a paste rig to be fished at 7 metres – simple.
 
After feeding the 7 metre line with a pot of wetted micro I went in after the Ronnie’s catching one before I noticed loads of fizz over the 7 metre line. So I plonked the paste over it only to foul hook a double figure Common Carp which played bedlam with the swim which ended up breaking my number two and braking off under the platform.
 
Not the start I was hoping for. Dan White on peg 97 thought it hilarious. However, “He who laughs last laughs longest” Dan similarly broke his top set on a fouler and then broke two landing net heads and a landing net handle – not to worry Dan picked up £15!
 
Out again with the paste and I had three big skimmers before I hooked and landed a 13 lb Common Carp. After re-feeding with micro and after sitting over loads of fizz with paste for no return (hard pellet might have been better here today) I concentrated the rest of the match on the caster catching Ronnie’s and small hybrids to 6oz. I enjoy this sort of fishing as it is busy plus you aren’t playing the beast of Carey for an age. Late on I did have some fizz over the caster so plonked some paste over it and buggered the swim for while whilst I played a 12lb Mirror Carp. This forced mw to start another Ronnie line which produced well, adding a 3lb Tench shallow on caster.
 
Ronnie’s weighed in at 34lb 11oz and the two pesky Carp 24lb 12oz for a total of 59lb 7oz. I must say I did enjoy it today the Ronnie’s are gradually getting bigger and hopefully it won’t be long before the are beating the Skimmers to the coin.
 
The match was won by Paul Homewood (pictured right with the Silvers winner) from peg 123 with 230lb 10oz. Paul caught on hard pullet over pellet.
 
The Silvers was won by Paul Lock with 68lb 9oz of big Skimmers from peg 116. Paul caught at 5 metres using paste over softened 4’s. His fat mate Rich Coles made a spectacle of himself by dropping his £200 pair of glasses in the water. Rich is so dependant on them that he spent the rest o the match facing the wrong way – see the weigh board. Any way a great weight of Silvers Paul.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Paul Homewood 230-10-0 peg 123
  2. S Russell 229-07-0 peg 132
  3. Roy 223-08-0 peg 125
  4. M Rogers 190-05-0 peg 135
  5. Dan White 187-15-0 peg 97
  6. Nicky Ewers 184-08-0 peg 81
Top Silvers:
 
  1. Paul Lock 68-09-0 peg 116
  2. Paul Homewood 57-12-0 peg 123
  3. Paul Greenwood 54-14-0 peg 77
Weigh Boards Follow:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

The Last Gasp Gardener said...

keep up the good blog. come and see me at midsectionblues.blogspot