Tuesday 28 May 2013

Tuesday 28/05/2013 - Acorn Cost Cutter Open - Paddocks

With the Granddaughters off to Spain for half term I had Tuesday off from the school run so decided to go to either Woodlands or Acorn – Acorn won the day as it was closer. The weather forecast wasn’t promising either with rain all day. I was hoping they got it wrong – they didn’t! Because of this I wasn’t sure how many would be there and was surprised to find 15 hardy soles in attendance.
 
The fishery was planning to start putting wooden posts down the straight behind the “teen” pegs so these were left out. The organise Mike decided to select five golden pegs so the fund wouldn’t build up too high. Would I draw one – nope.
 
In to the draw bag and out comes ping-pong 37. 37? Never seen that peg in before, but was happy with it as I had plenty of room.
 
It was going to be an out and out paste attack; setting up two paste rigs both the same one yellow topped the other red. On the whistle I started as usual on the paste close in to the edge and I could believe it no indications what’s so ever – blimey. I was struggling, noticing the water was very clear. Luckily I had half a pint of casters left from Sundays match so I set up the Ronnie rig and had a thrash around with caster for a while catching a few Skimmers, bits and bobs and s few small Carp. I did keep trying the paste in close but it just wasn’t working. I was struggling. I decided the fish wouldn’t come in close because of the clarity. So with two hours to go I set up a paste rig to half depth and plumbed around until I found a purchase. I sat on this for the remainder of the match with the catch rate gradually increasing until the end – a bit like the rain! I felt it I needed another hour to really bag up but felt I saved my day with 15 decent Carp for a total of 80lb 7oz when adding my 7lb 7oz of Silvers. This put me third overall and last in the money.
 
The match was won by Dave Wride (Pictured right with the Silvers winner) from peg 2 (not a Golden peg either) with 116lb 4oz. Dave caught close in fishing paste one side and meat the other.
 
The Silvers was won by Andy Gard with 27lb from peg 31. Andy caught on caster over some strange looking yellow Sonubait GB laced with caster down the track.
 
Full Result (weigh sheet got soaking wet):
 
 

2 comments:

Zac said...

Hello, you've mentioned before you don't like fishing paste on a flat bottom. I just wondered what the thinking was behind this? Do you fish it firmer and pull up the slope or something?

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Try it.