Thursday 9 May 2013

Thursday 09/05/2013 - Viaduct Cost Cutter - Campbell and Carey

My match calendar put me on BAA Withy Pool with the coffin Dodgers and Pill Poppers. However, it hasn’t been fishing that well so I decided to fish the Viaduct Skivers Match. After a steady drive down I arrived just in time to be first in the queue for breakfast in Woody’s.
 
The weather was forecast to be horrendous with gales force winds to 60 MPH and heavy rain – nearly put me off. As it was, there was little to no rain, but they were right about the bloody wind.
 
In to the draw coffee tin and out comes peg 77 on Carey. Bugger I was hoping to be on Campbell. After a chat with Steve Long I decided to go with the Silvers. Arriving at the peg I soon discovered that I was to spend the day being blasted direct in the face by the wind.
 
I set up two paste rigs one to fish long at 4 metres (0.4 gram) and the other (0.2 gram) for the margin. Finally the Ronnie rig. After feeding some hard 4’s at 4 metres I started on the Ronnie rig with caster over caster and had a reasonable first hour after which it went quite, so I went over the caster with paste and was soon retying a new hook due to a foul hooker breaking me. I then made a dreadful mistake by feeding hard 4’s over the caster only to bring in more Carp instead of the big Skimmers and Tench I was hoping for. The fact that I haven't been down here for a while showed. I tried the 4 metre line with paste only to lose another hook. It took two hours and four more lost Carp landing just the one 12 pound Common to reverse back on to the caster when I caught some more Hybrids, Skimmers and Ronnie’s to the end. My Silvers weighed 33lb 3oz for third in the Silvers.
 
The match was won by Lee Werrett (pictured upper right with three of his Carp that weighed 45lb) with just 35 Carp for 318 lb 9oz from peg 81. Lee caught on the pole up to the Monk catching on meat over meat.
 
The Silvers was won by Paul Blake (pictured right with some of his Skimmer and Tench catch) with 69lb 15oz (all in one net – good estimating matey!). Paul caught down his LH margin using meat over meat.

What a fishery, glad I don't have to weigh in at this fishery!
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Lee Werrett 318-09-0 peg 81
2.      Paul Blake 241-07-0 peg 115
3.      Dan White 236-04-0 peg 116
4.      Paul Greenwood 192-10-0 peg 114
5.      Dave Romain 185-13-0 peg 132
6.      Chris Rolfe 172-06-0 peg 119
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Paul Blake 69-15-0 peg 115
2.      Mark Wynne 36-11-0 peg 129
3.      Mike Nicholls 33-3-0 peg 77
 

The Incredible weigh sheet follows (14 Anglers breaking the ton): 
 

No comments: