Thursday 28 March 2013

Thursday 28/03/2013 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's and Disabled - Bridge Pool


Today was the first of the 2013 Coffin Dodgers, which has an ever increasing membership with the competition being more interesting by getting tougher. The matches are well run under the veteran match organiser Mike Jones (pictured right using his pole in a way only Mike can do – breaking ice – it didn’t get used any further today) who is aided and abetted by Chris Rolfe.
 
I remember being on the BAA committee when the club was in the process of purchasing Huntstrete Lake when we hit an impasse and if it wasn’t for Chris Rolfe taking on considerable personal risk the club would not have been able to purchased the Lake – we owe him much.
 
I must give credit where credit is due. This fishery has been fishing comparatively well all through this awful winter for Bream, Skimmers and a few Tench showing in addition to the usual Carp. I think it is currently the best Silvers venue within 25 miles of Bath and Bristol. Pleasure fishing must be exceptional, especially being able to select your peg.
 
I have fished many venues around the South West this winter and there has been a noticeable absence of Silvers especially Roach. Only last week the Silvers pool on the Wednesday Match at Plantation Fishery was won with a mere 2lb 2oz (two Skimmers)! In 2011 I was catching 40lbs+ of Ronnie’s on this venue. Don’t worry the fish are still there all we need it a stable period of warm weather.
 
If my season is anywhere as good as last year it will be another memorable year at Huntstrete.
 
Driving to the match I had a feeling that I had left something behind. It wasn’t until I was driving over County Bridge in Keynsham that I noticed the lock gates were frozen over – The Tony Blair – my WMD – was still in the garage. I was hoping that Bridge Pool wouldn’t be iced but it was. Luckily there are still a few Coffin Dodgers with some memory left and I was able to borrow one.
 
With only 19 pegs, I really didn’t mind where I drew so it was in to the draw bag and out comes peg 26. OK but had 10mm of ice over it. I soon had it cleared out to 5 metres. Just the one 4x16 Jolly secured with 0.18 main line and a size 20 – 808 hook to 0.14 hook length. This is one of the deepest swims on the venue, so only had to shorten the newly made rig by 2 foot.
 
I started by feeding a tiny ball of GB laced with a few Pinkies. With a dead red on the hook I had a bite first put in – a 1oz Ronnie which fell on to the ice, but I was able to net it. There are some that think this is against the rules (whatever they are these days) but having checked with the match organiser and John Smith on the next peg both were happy I weighed it.
 
I then had a run of Skimmers to 1 ½ lb until a Carp put its nose in to someone else’s business. It took a while to get them back and from then on I caught Skimmers steady until the end.
 
It was another great day on Bridge Pool weighing 18lb 7oz for first overall and first in the Silvers. However, I was glad to hear the whistle as I was bloody freezing cold from the ice cold cutting wind.
 
Runner up was John Smith (pictured right with the overall winner and we hadn't yet been to the pub) with 14lb 8oz of Skimmers from peg 28.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Mike Nicholls 18-07-0 peg 26
2.      John Smith 14-08-0 peg 28
3.      Pete Greenslade 13-10-0 peg 16 (two carp)
4.      Ray Bazeley 12-08-0 peg 7
5.      Bill Ferris 11-05-0 peg 31 (one Carp)
6.      Terry Bruton 8-12-0 peg 29


The weigh boards follow:
 
 
 
   

No comments: