Sunday 17 March 2013

Sunday 17/03/2013 - Landsend Individual League - Final Round Six - Specimen, Match and John Walters Lake

Firstly the sad news, fellow matchAangler Martin Rich passed away today at 11 o clock. It’s always sad to lose one of our own – RIP matey.
 
Mike Duckett has done a vast amount of swim clearing on all of his Lakes. I must say Match Lake looked a lot better with the short back and sides. We can now see the sky – well done to Mike. The picture right is the latest view along the far bank of Match Lake.
 
It was Ken Rayners 43rd birthday today and his mum baked us a Rainbow cake (pictured right). Bela had a piece and thought it wonderful – thanks Mum.
 
It was my turn on Match Lake so expecting good sport. As far as the Silvers league goes I was in 5th place and no more than a Sponsor in the overall league. So unless there was an upset – like a couple of broken legs I might make the overall Silvers money. That said, realistically I was only looking for an on the day pick up.
 
In to the draw box and out comes peg 17. I didn’t know what to expect so had a chat around and decided that Silvers was the best opportunity for coin. I set up the two rigs one was a 4x14 Jolly to be fished at 12 o clock and a corn float for down to the RH pallet. Both these rigs were to be fished at 11.5 metres.
 
Sitting on the peg all I could see was what I mistook to be feeding fish. I was concerned that if I fed I would end up foul hooking – it looked that good. I fed the pallet down to the pallet with some hard fours and went out on the Jolly with a softy 4mm over just a few kindered micros. I couldn’t get a bite and noticed that there were no fish presences over the feed even though there were bubbles all over. I realised that the bubbles were a result from the bottom warming up and the peat bottom giving off gas (later chatting to Nick Duckett he agreed with my analysis).
 
I did have a couple of big Skimmers on this line falling to the 4mm softy. However, it was hard going all round the Lake for Silvers with a few Carp coming out from the usual pegs. It was clear after the first hour that the Silvers were going to be my only avenue to coin. What surprised me was that I wasn’t getting the usual interference from the Ronnie. So after a couple of hours with four decent Skimmers an a few lesser mortals in the net I decided to switch to maggot, feeding maggot and micro combo. This switched on the Ronnie’s adding a couple of pound of them plus another decent Skimmer. I did lose a Roach of about 1lb due to bad angling.
 
It was time to try the pallet swim with corn and first put in I had a 3lb very dark scaled Carp (a shy Carp that must live under the pallets to achieve this colour). No further bites here so after re-feeding with corn and hard 4’s it was back out on the maggot at 11.5 metres where I snagged 2lb Ide. With one hour left I decided to focus on the margin. This resulted in one more darky Carp and what a surprise a 4lb Tench and another big Skimmers all on corn – should I had concentrated on the margin more as it appeared that most of the fish around the lake were coming from the shallower watered margins. Was this because of the gas-off? Who knows?
I weighed 20lb 13oz of Silvers and the two darkies weighed 6lb 12oz for a total of 27lb 9oz. This gave me 6 points overall Lake and more importantly a Lake Silvers win and a second Silvers overall – mission achieved.
 
This left me and my stand in Tim Ford 4th overall in the Silvers league – just out of the money – unlucky matey.

The match was won by Kevin Moulton (pictured right with the Silvers winner) from peg 19 with 90lb 4oz. Kev caught on hard banded pellet from tight over to ¾ over and down to his RH pallet.
 
The Silvers was won by Bob Gullick from peg 39 with 24lb 12oz. Bob caught on soft pellet fished over to the far bank and at 13 metres down the track.
 
For the final overall league positions see Rip off’s blog.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Kevin Moulton 90-04-0 peg 19
2.      Tony Rixon 83-07-0 peg 32
3.      Nick Duckett 83-06-0 peg 7
4.      Craig Edmonds 83-03-0 peg 22
5.      Steve Segar 82-14-0 peg 41
6.      Tom Thick 73-0-0 peg 34
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Bob Gullick 24-12-0 peg 39]
2.      Mike Nicholls 20-13-0 peg 17
3.      Phil Harding 17-12-0 peg 13
 
The full weigh sheets follow:
 
 
 
 

No comments: