Thursday 21 February 2013

21/02/2013 - Bathampton AA/Veals Silvers Championship - Bridge Pool

As Bob Warren had sold his car I picked him up as he only lives round the corner. Although Bob isn’t fishing the league he was drafted in to deputise for Harry Muir.

The weather brought out the cold weather gear and I was surprised to see we had a “Navy Seal” (pictured right) at the draw disguised as Bill Ferris!!
 
The weather forecast was for a “Feels like” –3 degrees due to the bitterly cold SE wind.  So I was hoping to draw between pegs 14 to 24 and have the wind off my back/side.
 
In to the draw bag and out comes peg 9. A good peg from which, I have had plenty of results. However, the wind was directly in the mush and at the time of setting up I had the glare from the sun which forced me to fish away from it at 1 o clock. Luckily after half an hour the sun disappeared, not to show again, making this the coldest days fishing so far this winter.
 
I set up two 4x16 Jolly’s both to be fished at 9 metres one rig for the Pinkie and the other for soft pellet.
 
I started by feeding some micro and the soft pellet rig. Being impatient for bites I didn’t give it long enough on hindsight quickly switching to my Skimmer mix of GB and Pinkie on the same line. I was then soon getting bites from small Ronnie’s. That’s what fishing is about for me getting bites. By regularly topping up with a nugget of GB I kept a few Ronnie’s coming. Then out of the blue I had three consecutive Skimmers. The rest of the match it was a question of scratching around for the odd small fish. The Lake was fishing really hard so my lowly 5lb 10oz put me 5th overall, but more importantly another section win.
 
It was disappointing for the pairs as once again my partner Chris Rolfe was in my section. At least he managed 4 points.

I don't know what we will catch once BAA net out these small fish that are providing some sort of winter sport?

The match was won by Paul Barnfield (pictured right picking up the contents of his tackle box, which for some strange reason decided to empty out in the car park) from peg 14. Paul caught ten good Skimmers to 2lb using maggot hook bait fished over micro at 11.5 metres.
 
The not so accidental Carp pool was won by Terry Bruton from peg 33 with twp carp weighing 16lb 7oz.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Paul Barnfield 14-09-0 peg 14
2.      Dave Poole 10-0-0 peg 16
3.      Ray Bazeley 7-12-0 peg 21
4.      Mike Jones 6-0-0 peg 11
5.      Mike Nicholls 5-10-0m peg 9
6.      Paul Staite 5-06-0 peg 28
 
Accidental Carp:
 
1.      Terry Bruton 16-07-0 peg 33
2.      Bob Warren 10-03-0 peg 32
 
Biggest Silver:
 
Ray Bazeley 2-11-0 Tench peg 21

2 comments:

Rolfie said...

I actually scored 3 points which puts us joint top.....happy days

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Well done partner.