Thursday 21 June 2012

Wednesday 20/06/2012 - Mike Nicholls and Tony Rixon Pole Only Open - Viaduct - Campbell and Carey

It was nice to be able to walk to the draw complete with tackle for the Mike Nicholls and Tony Rixon Pole Only Open on Campbell and Carey. Our contributions were for Tony collect names and moaned a bit, whilst I did the advertising, with the Viaduct Management doing the rest of the organisation!!

I was well back in the draw queue rewarded me with peg 100 on Carey – yippee - a peg which can throw up big weights of Bream. Tony drew peg 90 (hence the grumbling).

Glenn drew peg 112, Martin peg 80 and Mark peg 86.

With the Gimp one side of me on peg 102 I was hoping for a quite days fishing until Master Flip-Flop, came along and sat on peg 99 – peace shattered for the day.

I set up just the two rigs, Paste and a Skimmer rig both to be fished at 10 metres. As I had some worms and casters both on their last legs I decided to fish this on the Skimmer rig in to white water (always my preference to watch a black top float). On the whistle I put in a big pot of CW&C, starting on the paste kindering micro and a few 4’s I had a Bream first cast – happy days – not - as other than a speared 4oz Skimmer this line produced nothing else although I spent of lot of time trying it, which I was encouraged to by Howard on peg 97 who was catching Bream regularly on paste. On to the Worm line and another Bream and a quick Tench before this swim died and once again I spent far too long on this line trying to make it work, the reward being one 10lb Common Carp in pristine condition. With an hour to go both my swim was completely devoid. So in my need for bites I set up my Ronnie rig and fishing down the margin with single caster doubled my weight of Silvers. Had I switched to this at the same time Tom Thick had abandoned his Silver lines and went Carp thrashing at 14.5 metres I think I would have sneaked in third in the Silvers.

My one Carp weighed 10lb 8oz and the Silvers 22lb 3oz (beating the Gimp by a pound – however Joe Thompson beating both of us with his 23lb 10oz) for a not so grand total of 33lb 10oz.

The match was won by Andy Power (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 223lb 4oz from peg 119. Andy caught at 16 metres up to the end bank catching shallow on 8mm banded pellet over loose fed 8’s. Andy fed about three pints.

The Silvers was won by Tim Pallant with 39lb 9oz from peg 81. Tim caught quality fish up to the spit using CW&C. Tim “said” he fed I kg of Worm and 4 pints of caster. I don’t know how he fed this much bait in six hours through a kinder pot!

Full Result:

1.      Andy Power 223-04-0 peg 119
2.      Tony Wittcomb 167-02-0 peg 76
3.      Tom Thick 155-12-0 peg 99
4.      Phil Harding 130-09-0 peg 116
5.      Glenn Bailey 119-01-0 peg 112
6.      Matt Tomes 116-14-0 peg 111

Top Silvers:

1.      Tim Pallant 39-09-0 peg 81
2.      Howard Webb 32-05-0 peg 97

No comments: