Sunday 24 June 2012

Sunday 24/06/2012 - Gimps Top Five Open Match - Viaduct Fishery - Campbell

It only seems like yesterday that I was sitting down to a Woody Breakfast, but unfortunately I couldn't walk to the draw and had to be picked up by matey Bela and driven home after the match.

Nearly last draw queue but after a bit of nudging with Bob Gullick I got the last ticket. As it happened we both had a good draw. I drew peg 114 and Bob peg119.

Bela drew peg 131, thankfully it wasn't me.

I was happy with the peg as I drew it on the last top 5 match and learnt a bit to the extent that on the Sunday night after the match made up some rigs in case I drew it again! So it was two paste rigs – one for top five and the other for the LH margin, plus a meat rig again for the top five. On the whistle in to the margin went a big pot of micro on the top four. However, I started on the meat on the top six at 10 0 clock aiming towards peg 130 (so that I didn't play the fish over my line), luckily before I fed I realised that I was fishing my normal distance, so took off one section and stowed it in my holdall – put it down to age and familiarity. Kindering 6mm meat with the same on the hook produced a few Ronnie bites, so this rig was immediately abandoned.  Before I left the line I fed a big pot of wetted micro and went in to the margin with paste. This resulted in five Bream and one Tench before the Carp had searched me out. I then had a run of smallish Carp which are a nightmare to get out of the margin losing quite a few 2 – 3 pounders. The swim slowed so I re-fed and went out on the top 5 line and caught a better stamp of Carp steadily, kindering hard 4’sover the top. I switched between the two lines until the end landing 26 Carp in addition to the few Silvers caught at the start – all caught on the paste.

My Carp weighed in at 144lb 12oz and my Silvers 20lb 12oz for a grand total of 165lb 8oz for a match win and fifth in the Silvers.

As anticipated it was another great days fishing.

The Silvers was won by Phil Cardwell (pictured right with the overall winner) with 40lb 7oz from peg 126. Phil caught on hard banded 6mm pellet fished over micro in GB kinder potted in after every fish.


Full Result:

1.      Mike Nicholls 165-08-0 peg 114
2.      Tom Thick 155-15-0 peg 118
3.      Matt Tomes 136 -09-0 peg 121
4.      Alan Oram 111-11-0 peg 115
5.      Steve Evans 99-13-0 peg 132
6.      Dave Romain 96-06-0 peg 124

Top Silvers:

1.      Phil Cardwell 40-07-0 peg 126
2.      Dave Romain 39-07-0 peg 124
3.      Bob Gullick 38-0-0 peg 119

No comments: