Monday 18 June 2012

Sunday 17/06/2012 - Avon Angling Float Only - Sedges - Brick and Tile Lakes

It was up at 07:30 to be welcomed to the new morn by view out of my bedroom window, wonderful, all the ingredients to get you itching to get fishing. After breakfast in Woody’s cafĂ© it was off to Sedges for Tony’s float only. I would have preferred to fish Match Lake with Woody, but because I have already missed one match I couldn’t afford to miss another.

Woody drew peg 44 on Match Lake and had a good day coming fourth overall with 53lb and second in the Silvers with 12lb. Glenn and Mark Tanner (who arrived today) went pleasure fishing outside the Lodge with Glenn landing a twenty pounder. Mark caught 3 ½ lb Chub then disappeared until the early hours of the morning!

In to the draw tin and out comes peg 40 on Tile Lake – excellent draw for Silvers and Carp, this would be the third time I have drawn this peg and have so far always come away with coin.

Dave Roper was behind me on peg 4 and trundled pass me with his tackle trolley (pictured right). How did he get it his car? Dave had fished my peg the week before and said he could only catch at 8 metres with meat over meat coming second on the Lake. Dave tried the paste down the LH margin and caught nought. Tony came along and said paste worked last week, but not until the last hour.

I had already decided to fish for Ronnie’s and the paste down the margin for carp. So my Ronnie rig for caster over caster (the casters Anton Page was throwing away) and a paste rig was set up in 15 minuets. I didn’t bother with a full depth rig as I haven’t found it productive on this peg. The plan was all out for Ronnie’s, trying the paste from time to time. The wind was blowing in at me at 1 o clock but for once was helpful, giving me some cover. Starting out in front I had a fish straight off. However, it was slower than normal so having fed the margin with hard 4’s for the paste I switched to fishing and feeding the caster in the same vicinity. The fishing improved catching ½ oz to 3oz hybrids (nice to see these new arrivals) and Ronnie’s to 3oz. I kept trying the paste at 11.5 metres but was soon aware that the Carp weren’t there by the incessant nibbling by the tiny silvers. The Silvers had started to slow down just before the last hour and another try on the paste and no nibbling – perfectly still float and with the pole tightly gripped a Carp was soon hooked and netted. Unfortunately the next Carp broke the 0.18 so out came the 0.22 and another five Carp were soon in the net. With twenty minutes left some horrible slimy scum appeared and I couldn’t get my paste through it, which wasted, potentially catching another two fish, me thinks.

My six carp weighed in at 36lb 9oz and my net of whitebait went 16lb 8oz for a total of 53lb 1oz. This gave me a section win – as would be expected from this peg as a minimum, but a disappointing 8th overall and 5th in the Silvers, not as disappointing as I was expecting Brick Lake to produce the winners of this category.

The match was won by Fabsy (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 76lb 7oz from peg 20 on brick Lake. Fabsey caught shallow out in front on the pole using banded pellet over loose fed pellet. Matey Bela was on the next peg 19 and fishing the same finished runner up.

The Silvers was won by guest angler Shane Casswell with 39lb of Skimmers from peg 18. Shane started by feeding ten balls of GB laced with micro and casters at 13 metres fishing worm hook bait over the top, feeding chopped worm over the top through the kinder cup.


Full Result:

1.      Phil Harding 76-07-0 peg 20
2.      Bela Bakos 69-09-0 peg 19
3.      Chris Fox 64-14-0 peg 6
4.      John Thompson 63-15-0 peg 23
5.      Anton Page 61-15-0 peg 8
6.      Tony Rixon 60-09-0 peg 32
7.      Joe McMahan 60-03-0 peg 24
8.      Mike Nicholls 53-01-0 peg 40


Top Silvers:

1.      Shane Caswell 39-0-0 peg 18
2.      Nick Collins 27-06-0 peg 17
3.      John Thompson 18-03-0 peg 23

No comments: