Sunday 29 May 2011

Sunday 29/05/2011 - Carps AC - Summer League - Viaduct Fishery - Round One

Today was the first round of the Carps AC Summer League at the Viaduct Fishery. Last year I was limited to fishing the occasional match as a guest, as I enjoyed it so much I decided to join the league thisn year even though I will miss one match.

Bela had some how managed to be first in the queue, so I pushed in to third to draw (any arguments see Bela)! Bela had drawn his usual section – peg 100 on Carey. Luckily (perhaps) I pulled peg 131 an area that I seemed to be drawing a lot lately. Alan Oram had won from the peg yesterday and speaking to him he hadn’t had anything on the meat, more importantly very few Silvers. I had set my mind set on this species for the overall league, so I was a bit wary. I set up two paste rigs one for the margin and one to be fished at 11.5 metres, plus one 4x14 wired Jolly to fish with meat at 7 metres. Starting on the 8mm meat I found exactly the same as Alan the meat was soon being attacked by Ronnie’s and after twenty minutes or so all I had to show for it was two tiny Skimmers. As a few big Skimmers had been coming out on small pieces of paste I decide to give this a go using the kinder pot and a few hard 4’s at 11.5 metres I had six decent Carp to 10 lb in the first six put in’s. Not what I wanted. To Glenn Baileys dismay (two pegs up on 129) who at this stage had very little I decided to open up a CW&C line also at seven metres but at 2 o clock. This resulted in one dropped Ronnie, blimey I was in trouble. I was overcome with doubt as to whether I should go back out with the paste and try for a Carp weight. So I gave it another try and after losing a foul hooked Carp I landed another small one. At this stage it was obvious that the Skimmers south of the spit were not either feeding or on holiday and Carp slaying would be a deviation from the plan so I made the decision (right or wrong) to set up a Ronnie rig and got the caster out. With now only three hours of the match left the most I could expect was 15 lb (30lb per six hours), but it might be enough. So I stuck with this for the rest of the match. My seven Carp weighed in at 42lb 7oz and as predicted my Silvers went 15lb 5oz for a total of 57lb 12oz. This put me joint second in the section Silvers and third in the overall section. However, I did manage to pick up the Silvers section by default jointly with Mark Bird (why do they call him Budgie, I think of Adam Faith when I hear this nick name)! I think my decision to stick to “The Plan” was right.

The match was won by 13 year old Lewis Greenwood (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 137lb 14oz from peg 112. Lewis caught on the lead using double banded 8mm hard pellet fished over loose fed 8’s, Lewis fed about 1 ½ pints of 8's.

I suggest that Dude Squires learns to count as he initially under counted Lewis’s weight by 10lbs – “remember to carry over the ten’s”

The Silvers was won from peg 123 by Scott “Hung-over” Lovell with 58lb 14oz of Tench. Scott fished meat short to his left hand margin catching steady all match.

Full Result:

1. Lewis Greenwood 137-14-0 peg 112
2. Lee Werrett 136-04-0 peg 127
3. Dan Squires 127-15-0 peg 111
4. Ray Heyward 123-03-0 peg 128
5. Steve Jackson 97-04-0 peg 113
6. Dave Goodall 86-02-0 peg 114

Top Silvers:

1. Scott Lovell 58-14-0 peg 123
2. John Green 46-11-0 peg 118
3. Ray Hayward 33-02-0 peg 128

No comments: