Sunday 27 March 2011

Sunday 27/03/2011 - Boyd Valley Open

Bill Ferris wanted to know what my winter Skimmer GB mix consisted of. I don’t have any issues with this; unlike some anglers, one I know doesn’t even like other anglers fondling his GB!
All of the following GB’s should be sieved to remove all the large particles, which can be kept and stored for a summer bag up mix.
1 x 1 pint Sensas Lake (black or natural)
1 x 1 pint of Sensas Magic (great on it’s own for small Canal Skimmers)
1x 1 pint Swim Stim – Amino (black or green)
I then add IM5 as a binder. The quantity is dependant on the depth of the water I am fishing. For shallow venues such as Viaduct and Bullocks Farm, etc… I add ½ pint. For deeper venues such as; The Sedges and Huntstrete I add up to 1 pint.
I blacken up to suit with Sensas black powder.
I always mix it the night before and split the mix in to two separate plastics bags (because I am fugal). I take home any unopened bags and freeze for the next match – but check the bags for any air holes.
On the day of the match I decide on the quantity of GB to feed dependant on the conditions etc…If I am going to feed kinder pot I add extra water to bind it tight (this mix is easily made in to a paste like substance). If I am going to “Ball it”, I leave as is, providing it hasn’t dried out too much.
The deep mix is ideal for feeding expander pellet through the kinder pot.
I can all most guarantee that Carp will not home in on this GB as I have only caught two all winter whilst using it.
All of the above ingredients are available from Avon Angling.
I might now remember for next winter what I was using and where I bought it!!

Yet another Sunday at Boyd Valley Lake. Once again we were surrounded by wild life and at last I found a bird (pictured top right) that would keep perfectly still and is without the best tehre is at catching small Ronnie's.

In to the draw box and out comes peg 10, same peg as last week. However, the wind had changed around 180 degrees and was now blowing in to peg 6 which meant I would need to fish bias to my right. I thought it would be harder today as the temperature had dropped so had the water level. Because of this I set up four Ronnie rigs – one for the RH margin (shallower) – one for the LH and two whip s for out in front (wind permitting). Using caster hook bait over loose fed caster and switching between all for rigs I just about managed to keep the Ronnie’s coming throughout the match. Because the fish weren’t really feeding I only just managed to get through 1 pint of caster. It wasn’t only the Silvers that didn’t come out to play as the Carp and Skimmers decided to have a day off. Because of this my 32lb 2oz of Ronnie’s was enough to win both the Silvers and match. The match winner is pictured right with the Special One - I'm the one on the right (picture courtesy of Edie Nicholls aged 4).

The default Silvers winner was Joe Mc Mahon (pictured right with his net of Silvers) with 17lb 5oz of Ronnie’s from peg 4. Joe caught on his top set with caster. A young angler to watch providing Dad doesn’t advise too much!!

Full Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 32-02-0 peg 10
2. Shaun Townsend 30-08-0 peg 7
3. Martin Rayet 27-14-0 peg 3
4. Lee Trivet 24-10-0 peg 11
5. Leyton Palmer 23-0-0 peg 9
6. Dave Haines 22-10-0 peg 6

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 32-02-0 peg 10
2. Joe Mc Mahon 17-05-0 peg 4

2 comments:

Chris Fox said...

Do you use tap water or lake water to mix your groundbait at home?

Silverfox Match Angling said...

I use tap water after is has gassed off the Chlorine.Can't use Boyd Valley water as it would turn the GB dark red!!