Saturday 26 March 2011

Saturday 26/03/2011 - Hillview Open

Son Steve wanted another outing to Hillview, so as he offered to drive I agreed to take my aching neck for a restful Carp session.

On arrival Keith Hill informed us that he had re-stocked the fishery with F1’s. Keith has put 1100 lbs in to both Lakes and 700 lbs in each of the four canals. A total of 4480 lbs. The fish appear to be between 12oz to 1lb.

After one of the best breakfasts this year (I couldn’t eat the last half of sausage) I was first in to the woolly hat (according to Keith because I am the oldest) and out comes peg 7. This peg is opposite the only island and has some recent form on the waggler. There were plenty of fish crashing around it when I arrived. However, I had no intention of fishing there. I noticed that Steve had drawn opposite me on peg 18 the other island chuck. I walked round to tell him he had the whole island to himself if he wanted.

Back to my swim and I set up two margin rigs one paste rig for the LH side and a 4x12 corn float for the RH margin, designed by me and expertly made by Mark Haskins (pictured right) (apparently no relation to Topper). These floats can only be purchased from Avon Angling. I must say they worked very well with excellent shotability. I also set up a 4x16 Jolly to be fished at 6.5 metres to be fished with expander pellet. On plumbing up in the LH margin I had a fish peck at the plummet. So that was where I started on the paste. I immediately had fish nudging the paste. I thought it was Ronnie’s so I picked up the corn rig and had an F1 straight away. I started to feed some hard 4’s over the top and had a run of F1’s until I had a 2lb carp. The swim then died. So I went out on the 6.m metre line with soft 3mm pellet kinder potting in some micro. Once again I caught F1’s until I caught another 3lb Carp. I then had three Bream to 3lb. I decided to switch to feeding hard 4’s which appeared to do the trick as I started to catch proper Carp regularly. However, a long quiet spell followed. I kept trying the margin with paste and corn but it didn’t show much sign of life, I think the water was too clear. I fished the remainder of the match on 6.5 metre line having another good run of Carp with a smattering of F1’s. My Silvers net (including the F1’s) went 30 lb and the 15 Carp weighed in at 64lb 8oz fro a total of 94lb 8oz putting me top on Moorhen Lake and second overall.

I was narrowly beaten by Alan Hicks (pictured right with his F1 catch) on peg 37 with 98lb of F1’s. Alan caught at 7 metres starting on pellet and later switching to paste which he thought was the more productive bait. Luke Hughes on the next peg 39 to Alan also had 90lb of F1’s.

Steve caught 51lb of F1's on the short pole aslo using paste. Glad I didn't fish the waggler as Steve was tormented by the F1's taking the pellet out of the band - landing none!

Full Result:

1. Alan Hicks 98-0-0 peg 37
2. Mike Nicholls 94-08-0 peg 7
3. Luke Hughes 90-04-0 peg 39
4. Rob Hands 67-0-0 peg 16
5. Ian Smith 62-13-0 peg 32
6. Garry Hughes 62-08-0 peg 5

No comments: