Sunday 20 March 2011

Sunday 20/03/2011 - Boyd Valley Open

Back to Bowd Boyd Valley Lake for another open run by Leyton Palmer. Every match we have a different line up with Andy Britt putting in an appearance today, luckily there was no singing! Andy brought with him some good news that Dad Bryan is enjoying a spell of good health – might see him out fishing next.

This lake is a nice place to spend a day for the wild life alone. The herd of Deer are still in the back field and I spied the fattest Pheasant (pictured right). I was assured by Matt Taynton that the meat would most likely be tough – colourful game bird all the same. One thing that irritates me is litter being left by pleasure anglers. I wonder what state their homes are in – it’s so easy to take it home and recycle. I clear my swim every time as I can’t fish with litter anywhere near me.

What a lovely Spring day – BBC got it wrong again – no rain or clouds.

I went for a walk around the lake yesterday meeting up with Layton Palmer in peg 11. With the wind blowing into this bank there was a lot of Carp showing in the margin. Leyton was hoping to draw the peg today but ended up in just the peg he didn’t want – peg 6, however, he did manage moan a few on to the hook.

I drew peg 10. Happy with this, but in two minds as to fish for Carp or Silvers, as this peg has two good Carp margins. As I had a bite on a bare hook whilst shotting up decided me – Silvers it was. I set up three rigs two identical Ronnie rigs to be fished on the bottom 4 ½ foot deep, and a 3.5 metre whip with a small waggler to be fished at 2 ½ foot deep. All the rigs to be fished with caster hook bait over caster. The whip only accounted for 7 or so Ronnie’s albeit better quality, but because of the wind I was missing too many bites. So the majority of my fish came to my Ronnie’s rigs, which needed three no 11 back shot to get better presentation against the right to left wind. I nearly added three Carp but they were a bite too fast for me and I lost them all in the bank side Sedges luckily I had the spare rig made up. Isn’t it amazing all though there appeared identical I couldn’t catch as quick with the substitute? Andy Britt was also fishing for the Silvers and had counted his 230 fish which I thought would run me close. I weighed 33lb 13oz of Ronnie’s to Andy’s 17lb. This put me first in the Silvers and because the Carp didn’t feed third overall.

The match was won as expected by Steve Jefferies (pictured right with one of his small fish - yes this is what a Millionaire looks like) from peg 11 with 46lb 3oz his catch included Carp to 10 lb. Steve caught all his fish in the LH margin fishing long down to the post. Steve caught on sweet corn over pellet feed.

Full Result:

1. Steve Jefferies 46-03-0 peg 11
2. Jerry Pocock 39-08-0 peg 12
3. Mike Nicholls 33-13-0 peg 10
4. Matt Taynton 27-06-0 peg 2
5. Martin Rayett 26-08-0 peg 3
6. Leyton Palmer 25-10-0 peg 6

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 33-13-0 peg 10
2. Andy Britt 17-0-0 peg 9

No comments: