Wednesday 7 April 2010

Wednesday 07/04/2010 - Carps AC - Bullocks Farm - Match Lake

It wasn’t clear today whether the café would be open, so to be sure I had breakfast at home. However, the café did open, but very late, which delayed the draw a tad.

A quick walk round and I noticed that there is a new bridge and a few new platforms, replacing some that were in disrepair (but not all). However, still no sign of the gardener – still a shit hole. That said, I love the fishing here.

I drew peg 17 another good-un. I spoke to Dave Wride after the draw as he fished it two weeks ago. He said he had won the Silvers (Crucians) fishing at 14.5 metres. As many know I am not known for fishing long especially with the Chicken sheds behind this peg, which would mean un-shipping (I hate doing this). So 10 metres it was to be, which was just clear of the shed. I set up a yellow topped 4x12 Jolly on this line directly out in front. I also set up a paste rig for the RH margin. I started by kinder potting in few wetted micro at 10 metres and started by sparingly loose feeding the margin with wetted 4mm pellet – about 4 at a time. First put in I had a Crucian of about 1lb 8oz. Next put in I had a 2lb carp followed by a small Crucian. At this point something happened to my swim. Looking round, no one was catching. I decided to switch to maggot over some kinder potted dry GB. This sparked the swim and I had a run of Crucians. Then for some reason I started to foul hook Crucians. This frustrated me some what. I decided to put in a big cup of GB with a good helping of red maggot. I noticed a little blow in my margin swim which I had been religiously dripping in 4 mm pellet. First put in and a positive bite on paste resulted in a 2lb Skimmer – not what I was expecting. Next put in and after a short wait I speared a 4 oz Ronnie. Whilst fishing this line I thought the water still looked a bit clear, so I decided to dump this swim. Back out a 10 metres and I had a 1lb Carp. Once again I started to foul hook fish. I tried paste over the line – same again foul hooking fish and plenty of missed bites. Dave Tippett (pictured right with his catch) on next peg 19 was fishing a tidy match catching a Carp regularly, long on pellet. So with an hour to go I knew that I had to catch some Carp to get in to the coin. So out came the 14.5 metres and first put in I had a 3lb Carp. Over the next hour I had eight Carp – loosing eight in the weed bed, plus two rigs – bloody frustrating. The Carp are obviously still hiding in the reeds, probably because the water is still a bit clear. My Silvers weighed in at 13lb 13oz and the carp 28lb 15oz for a total of 42lb 12oz for second overall and a pick up of £30.

The match was won by Dave Wride (pictured right with the Silvers winner - yes that is Dave smiling) with 48lb from peg 26. Dave caught on pellet. Dave said after that he had a long period where he was foul hooking fish and loosing them.

The Silvers was won by Tom Thick with 33lb 2oz from peg 25. Tom caught Crucians where ever he fished using either pellet or maggot over GB.

Full Result:

1. Dave Wride 48-0-0 peg 26
2. Mike Nicholls 42-12-0 peg 17
3. Tom Thick 36-10-0 peg 25
4. Mike Owen 36-03-0 peg 6
5. Dave Tippett 31-12-0 peg 18
6. Martin Rayett 24-12-0 peg 29

Top Silvers:

1. Tom Thick 33-02-0 peg 25
2. Bill Ferris 22-14-0 peg 22

1 comment:

tony rixon,s days out said...

fairplay mike you have turned drawing flyers into a kind of art form. but i must say steve the beast preece managed to win the match and silvers off that peg at the weekend, perhaps a quick call to him might be in order to see where you went wrong ha ha