Sunday 18 April 2010

Sunday 17/04/2010 - Carps AC - Chilton Trinity - Woodlands

I was spoilt for choice of matches to fish this week end – Sedges; Tile Lake with Sensas Veal’s – Acorn; with Rixon’s Rip-off – decided against this as the venue doesn’t have any pubic hairs yet – mind you as Charlie Barns said it won’t bother Tom Thick hasn’t seen any yet!!! I decided on Carps AC as I felt I had a score to settle with this venue. This was my second time at Trinity – Woodlands and having learnt a bit from the first visit I was keen to get back. I had a walk round the venue before the draw and noticed a lot of Carp in the corner margins of the furthest end bank pegs 16 to 20. I half expected this, as the wind had been blowing in to the end all week. I fancied all of these pegs.

I drew peg 7 which was at the opposite end of the Lake – becalmed. I set up a Skimmer rig – a 4x18 Jolly to be fished at 10 metres; a Ronnie 3.5 metre elasticated whip to be used with caster and a 0.4 gram paste rig set to 4 foot which suited both RH and LH margins. I started by feeding a 125 ml pot of Micro and 4 mm pellet on the Skimmer line. I followed this up with half a pot of micro and 4mm pellet in to the RH margin. I started on the whip, loose feeding caster. I also started regularly loose feeding 4mm pellet in to the LH margin. I had a run of small Rudd, but was pestered by the Motherless Minnows. My rig was such that I was fishing on the drop, but before the bait got to the better fish it was intercepted by the Motherless (after all they are surface feeders). I messed around with the shotting and feeding which did improve things but the fish were tiny. Rich Coles on next peg 8 was catching decent Skimmer on his chopped worm and had over taken me. So, after two hours I decided to have a look in the LH margin with paste. All I had to show for this was half a tree branch. Out again after the Ronnie’s and I hooked a 4 lb Carp on the whip which fought like crazy. Next cast I foul hooked another Carp. Bugger lets fish for them then!! In to the RH margin and first put in I hook and lost a decent Tench in the marginal brambles – bugger. Back out with a new hook (when fishing straight through as I was today I always leave a little extra line between the top-set and float so I can retie direct again). Back out again with paste and this time a small Carp. I decided to stay with this for the last 2 and half hours adding a 5lb bream and a 1lb F1 to my Silvers in addition to 19 more Carp up to 4lb. My Silvers weighed in at 14lb 12 oz for fourth in the Silvers – much more than I thought I had and the twenty or so Carp weighed in at 74lb 6oz for a total of 89lb 2oz for second overall and a pick up of £55.


The match was won as expected from peg 16 by Bob Sheppard (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 102lb 10oz. Bob Caught all his fish shallow on banded 8 mm pellet fish over loose fed 6mm pellet. Bob reckons he fed 8 pints of pellet – we all know Bob, so the gallon must have had a large pinch of salt in it!

The Silvers was won by Rich Coles form peg 8 with 24lb of Skimmers. Rich caught on worm fished over GB laced with chopped worm and caster, fished at 11.5 metres.

Full Result:

1. Bob Sheppard 102-10-0 peg 16
2. Mike Nicholls 89-02-0 peg 7
3. Leyton Palmer 86-10-0 peg 11
4. Martin Rayet 62-06-0 peg 28
5. Dave Evans 55-05-0 peg 20
6. Nigel Milkins 40-04-0 peg 13

Top Silvers:

1. Rich Coles 24-0-0 peg 8
2. Dave Tippett 20-10-0 peg 14
3. Darren Gillman 16-08-0 peg 24

No comments: