Thursday 8 April 2010

Thursday 08/04/2010 - Bathampton AA Over 55's - Bridge Pool

The day started us with a light over night frost, clear skies and a light South Westerly wind. Not really the recipe this time of year for catching huge weights of fish.

Unusually I was beaten in to second place at the draw by Dave Bacon, who pull the peg card I was going for, however, I picked the one next to it and out came peg 30. Dave was on 29!! I didn’t expect Bridge Pool to fish very well today because of the weather conditions. So I set up my usual Ronnie rig for the caster and a paste rig at 5 metres (for nearly down the inside shelf). I thought I would start on the paste looking for that early “Mug” Carp, whilst I fed the Ronnie line. I cupped in the paste along with a bit of micro and some 4mm pellet. Straight away I was pestered by small Skimmers in the 2 to 3oz bracket spearing them on my 12 hook. After 15 minutes I gave up on this and set about the Ronnie’s. Looking around the pegs at my end of the Lake no one seemed to have caught much, if anything at all. I could already hear Colin moaning on peg 2. I found the Ronnie’s very difficult to pin down – catch a few then nothing. It’s all in the feeding. I found by feeding heavy then leaving it and coming back over kept the Ronnie’s coming steady, which needed two swims, one in close the other out at 5 metres. I could see Bill Ferris opposite on peg 4 struggling for the Silvers, so decided to forget the Carp entirely and focus on the Ronnie’s. That is unless they came looking for me – which they didn’t. The bright conditions weren’t conducive for Ronnie fishing; however, I weighed in exactly 16 lb of all Ronnie’s with a smattering of small hybrids. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it especially when you really have to work hard for your fish. This put me third in the Silvers and a pick up of – you guessed it £25 (see last match video). The only Carp weighed at my end of the Lake was by John Wild (pictured right playing his thirteen pounder on his Silvers rig - a good bit of angling if you ask me).

The match was a tight a fair all round, with, as I expected most of the Carp coming from the end the wind had been blowing in to. The top six anglers were being separated by the one “stamp” Carp. Similarly the top three Silvers were separated by just 1lb.

The match was won by Rich Coles with 27lb 13oz from peg 18. Rich had a few decent Skimmers and three Carp.

In third place was Bob Feltham (pictured right with his Carp) who weighed 25lb dead from peg 23. Bobs catch included three Carp and a Roach weighed in at 1lb 6oz.

Mike Jones won the Silvers from in form Silvers peg 24 with 17lb. Mike caught on maggot shallow, adding some decent Skimmers to his net in the last half hour.

Full Result:

1. Rich Coles 27-13-0 peg 18
2. Bob Warren 25-13-0 peg 15
3. Bob Feltham 25-0-0 peg 23
4. Mike Jones 23-04-0 peg 24
5. Pete Phillips 21-02-0 peg 26
6. Terry Bruton 18-0-0 peg 19

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Jones 17-0-0 peg 24
2. Bob Warren 16-04-0 peg 15
3. Mike Nicholls 16-0-0 peg 30

No comments: