Wednesday 17 March 2010

Wednesday 17/03/2010 - Carps AC - Huntsrete - Withy Pool

As today’s chosen venue was fishing so bad I nearly went to Avalon instead, it was only the fact that it was much closer that swayed me. There are numerous rumours regarding the future stocking and destocking of the Huntstrete complex that I think Bathampton AA should now inform members as to what is planned to enable member feed back - I believe that major decisions such as these should be by member consensus. As far as I am concerned Bridge Pool is spot on with Withy Pool needing lots more fish – my suggestion would be F1’s and perhaps some Chub. As for the main lake that needs a lot more thought. I really don’t know where the club is going with this one; it seems to be a waste of a good fishing resource to me.

Off the soap box and back to the fishing. With my back still playing up from my "Trip" to Landsend I was hoping for an easy day. I suggested that all the pegs should be on the main water of the lake, however, I was shouted down and pegs 53 and 54 were put in which are behind the island. These pegs can be good for Carp during the summer, however, not very productive for the Silver population at any time of the year. I drew peg 53! Next to me on peg 54 was Steve Dawson a good Silvers angler. However, I knew it wasn’t going to be a peg to peg battle for the Silvers pool from these pegs. I set up two rigs: 1 – 4x16 Jolly at 7 metres for the Silvers, which is half the width of the peg and 1 – 4x12 Jolly at 13 metres for Carp. I fed a small amount of micro with about six casters on the silvers line and micro and corn on the Carp line. Starting on the Silvers line I had four fast bites which I missed before I had a 1oz Ronnie. The same pattern repeated itself and another 1oz Ronnie. I then had a 1lb Mirror Carp. Then nothing so I switched to 3mm soft pellet and had a 1lb Skimmer and that was the last of my Silvers! Steve Dawson by this time was still waiting for his first bite. Time to go out and out for Carp and on went a curnel of corn and before the float settled I was into a 3lb Carp. With it safely in the net, back out again and a 6lb Carp. Umm, another good day’s carping in the offering – Not. I had another three Carp losing one at the net after “the fish on cry”. I knew the loss of this fish would cost me and it did. I weighed 1lb 4oz of Silvers and 23lb 6oz of Carp for a total of 24lb 10oz.

My neighbour for the day - Steve Dawson weighed 2lb of 1 - 2 oz Ronnies. Unfortunately Steve also broke his pole - a number four section.

The match was won by Tom Thick from peg 43 with 55lb 13oz. Tom caught the majority of his fish at 10 metre on soft 3mm pellet fished over wetted micro pellet feed.

Runner up was Chris Fox (pictured right focused on catching another Carp, either taht or he is a sleep) who relegated me to third spot with six Carp from peg 50. For details on how Chris caught his fish visit his blog.

Full Result:

1. Tom Thick 55-13-0 peg 43
2. Chris Fox 27-11-0 peg 50
3. Mike Nicholls 24-10-0 peg 53
4. John Bennett 8-15-0 peg 73
5. Bob Price 7-02-0 peg 47
6. Andy Gard 7-01-0 peg 50

Top Silvers:

1. Tom Thick 20-08-0 peg 43
2. Bob Price 7-02-0 peg 47

1 comment:

Tim Ford said...

It will be interesting to see if a Bathampton commitee member responds to your rant.