Monday 1 March 2010

Wednesday 03/03/2010 - Carps AC - Plantation - Match lake

I didn’t get out fishing this Sunday because ….. Bela and I got ourselves fixed up to fish for teams in the Viaduct Winter League. Bela was to fish for the “Amigo’s” (the twats that dress in red) and me for one of the Veal’s teams. Which meant Bela would be on Campbell and me on Carey. However, Bela got “gazumped” and was subsequently very distraught. However, as Bela was keener to fish than me and it was his only opportunity over the week to fish, I let him have my Veal’s place. I still got my tackle ready as I half expected a call later on in the evening. I did finally get a text in the morning of the match – there was a place on Spring Lake (peg 16 – good Silvers peg – well use to be). Bit late for me to sensibly compete and would I be allowed to enter the pools – doubt it…. Bela ended up on corner peg 90 and did very well from it, collecting 15 points – not a Silvers peg so the right angler fished the peg.

A couple of things that has irritated me in the news this week:

MI5 officers have been accused by a senior judge of having a "dubious record" over the treatment of former Guantanamo Bay detainee Binyam Mohamed. Doesn’t this daft judge realize that M15 are Spies and carry out VERY DUBIOUS activities in the defence of Queen and Country – In any case why was he travelling Pakistan under a false passport, what else did he expect – M15 keep up the good work - next time destroy the evidence!!

The sad case of Khyra Ishaq, the seven-year-old starved to death by her mother and her lover. Her natural Father was on national (with doily on head) TV blaming the Social Services. I say what about his responsibilities to his Daughter. Why wasn’t he visiting her at least once a week to check she was well and happy. As far as I am concerned he is just as guilty.

It must now be spring (the Crocus think so). Despite the match being held on Plantation it was round to Bullocks Farm cafĂ© to get a decent breakfast. Carps AC were allocated 18 pegs around the far bank, this to make provisions for their season tickets holders! So with 16 fishing Mike Owens was very brave to select the pegs. I think he did the best of a bad job. Incidentally no other anglers fished the lake. At least the form peg 26 was in the draw. Mike actually re-pegged the match and I drew peg 13 (not that I am superstitious – just glad that row 13 on aircraft are not used). Mike informed me that this was permanent peg 20, followed up with “it’s a peg that is not usually pegged – sorry” – not your fault Mike. I then heard Tommy Thick cry out with joy having drawn peg 10 – perm peg 26. Not to worry this was the last we heard of him – Tommy chopped and changed between the pole and lead, not fishing either fully and ended up on a DNW. Peg 20 is in the top RH corner. I really didn’t fancy it for Silvers; however, the wind had been blowing in to this corner so the margin looked appetizing. I plumbed up the margin and was surprised to find 30 inches tight to the bank. I also set up a 0.3 gram Sensas Jean Desque Eric for the Silvers at 11.5 metres. I fed the margin with caster and corn and fed three balls of GB (Gimps Gold – brown) on the Silvers line. I started on single red maggot and had a small Ronnie first in. I then had a run of Skimmers to 3-4oz. I then switched to 3mm expander pellet and had a run of Skimmers to 1lb. On the two hour mark I re-fed with an additional ball of GB before trying the margin with corn. During the five minutes I fished there I had one bite which appeared to be a small fish. Back out on the 11.5 metre line and another run of 3-4oz Skimmers. On the four hour mark I re-fed another ball of GB and dived back in to the margin, The same again, one bite from a small fish, but this time I thought I saw the float rotate slightly from a liner. No more of this nonsense – back on to the Silvers and a little run of tiny Skimmers. I decide to feed a bit of micro and thought I saw a little blow over it. So on went a piece of corn and it slid straight away and 1lb 8oz Perch in the bag!! At the five hour mark I hit the wall and could not get a bite. So I fed some caster and maggot, which resulted in two further small Ronnie’s. I weighed 15lb for second in the Silvers and third overall. However, I picked up £40 for first in the Silvers by default.

The match and the Silvers were won by Bob “The Bread” Price from permanent peg 33. Bob had two Carp for 13lb 7oz and 33lb of sizeable Skimmers (see picture right – don’t often see Bob with a net of Skimmers like this). Bob caught all his fish on 3 mm expander over micro pellet at 10 metres.

Runner up was Leyton Palmer (pictured lower right) with 28lb from point peg 19. Leyton caught most of his fish on the method to the end of the opposite island.

Full Result:

1. Bob Price 43-07-0 peg 33
2. Leyton Palmer 28-0-0 peg 19
3. Mike Nicholls 15-0-0 peg 20
4. Mike Owens 13-10-0 peg 28
5. Martyn Rayett 13-08-0 peg 27
6. Bill Ferris 13-0-0 peg 39

Top Silvers:

1. Bob Price 33-0-0 peg 33
2. Mike Nicholls 15-0-0 peg 20

1 comment:

tony rixon,s days out said...

good venue controlled by people who dont understand , shame really as it is a very good fishery, and they have got 2 other lakes available for there "season ticket" holders one day every now and then wouldnt do any harm would it