Sunday 7 March 2010

Sunday 07/03/2010 - Landsend Individual League - Round Six

Matey Clayton Hudson had his fishing tackle stolen from his garden shed last week. Understandably Clayton was so distraught that he didn't fish the Viaduct winter league today. It’s not about the tackle which can be replace by a visit to the tackle shop; it’s the tackle that you have made/developed over the years. These items have little monitory value to the thieves, but will be priceless to Clayton – get back out on the bank soon matey, we are already missing the smell of weed!!

On a lighter note Anton “Smurf” Page has started a blog. However, having published his first blog entry Anton couldn’t relocate his blog. Anton rang me to see if I could find it for him. Having spent an hour looking I came to conclusion that Anton had misspelt a word or two. So having tried a few options I soon realised I had as much chance of finding it as winning the lottery. Subsequently Anton did find it, and it was misspelt – anglin? Anyway you can find his first entry by navigating to my favourite websites. It’s going to be an interesting blog judging by this start. I think it might make Tony Rixon’s blog look like the Oxford dictionary!!!

Bela and I had a bad start to the day, on arrival at Shipham cafĂ© we found it closed! So we had to settled for a breakfast roll in Churchill Garage. It didn’t get any better for me. I drew peg 78 on Sidney Lake (see picture right of both Sidney’s and John Walter Lake). I decided to fish various targeted swims along the far bank at 14.5 metres, so I set up two rigs for this – a TBF taking 2 x 11 shot and a 4x14 PB14. Having plumbed up both rigs I realised that the lighter float would not be taking any part in the match. The far bank swims were 12 inches deep, but had to lay line and shot down on the deck to hold up the float in the gusting and freezing East wind. I also set up a 0.3 gram Jean Desque Eric for down the middle where I found the deepest part of my peg some 30 inches!!! With the gusting wind and shallow water presentation was always going to be unfavourable. I started down the middle at 10 metres with single red maggot fished over some micro and maggot. Second put in I had a small Carp about 2lb. Having just re-fed the same line I had a 3lb Carp on the drop. The line then completely died. I couldn’t even get a bite from the Silvers fish. I tried the first far bank swim (directly opposite by a clump of reed) again with maggot over micro and maggot and had a small 1lb Carp and lost one foul hooker. I had kept my most promising line until last, however, I had to go in to it far earlier than I would have liked. This resulted in three more Carp and two lost foul hookers (probably due the amount on line I had dragging the bottom). I had two more bites; one Ronnie and a small Skimmer which went 8oz and my six Carp went 11lb 8oz for a grand total of 12lb dead. This gave me 3 sections points and was one more carp from winning some coin. The lake weights were quite close with only 17lb 5oz taking the top weight from corner peg 83.


I must give credit where credit is due and at the same time give encouragement to the younger match anglers. Liam "Clock Spring" (pictured right - yes he is that pale faced - with a typical stamp of fish from this lake) was second on the lake and won our section with 15lb from corner peg 82 - well done lad.

The match was won by Nicky Collier (pictured right) from peg 33 with 64lb 13oz. Nicky caught 50% of his Carp at 14.5 metres out in front on corn and the other 50% on banded hard pellet in to the end margin. Nicky is leading the league and probably uncatchable he can now start spending his winnings down at Avon Angling!


The Silvers was won by Nick Duckett from peg 29 with 24lb 10oz of sizable Skimmers. Nick caught at 13 metres using expander pellet over micro – feeding about one pint.

Full Result:

1. Nick Collier 64-13-0 peg 33
2. Nick Duckett 63-14-0 peg 29
3. Tom Thick 49-10-0 peg 28
4. Scott Lovell 46-0-0 peg 26
5. Anton Page 33-09-0 peg 13
6. Ken Rayner 32-11-0 peg 16

Top Silvers:

1. Nick Duckett 24-10-0 peg 29
2. John Bradford 16-05-0 peg 42

No comments: