Sunday 24 January 2010

Sunday 24/02/2010 - Landsend Individual League - Round Three

Extreme Fishing is back with a new series (Channel 5 – Thursday’s 9pm). I must say I did enjoy last year’s series, judging from the first programme, this year is going to be just as good – apparently 1.3 million watched it. To use Robson Greens own words “Lucky little Geordie get” – I agree. As I don't have the time, I do think he is the right man for the job, but can someone please teach him how to cast – as every time he does so, I cringe – each time I visualise him casting (sorry throwing) his rod in the drink (if this hasn’t already been edited out).

For those that follow Ken Rayners blog (which I’m one) I bet many of you wonder how Ken is able to record the exact weather conditions, the secret is out. He has a dash board set up on his pole sock comprising a digital temperature recorder etc…See picture right (note the trailing leads – I am assured that this isn’t to shock him every time he has a bite)!!

After another boring week being a couch spud watching B&W movies it was a struggle getting up at 05:45. After the shock it was great to be back out again. Bela is always spot on time. It was also good to be back to Shipham cafĂ© – nothing to moan about for me this week – the black pudding was apparently a bit over done.

Smurf was first to draw and pulled peg 33 on Specimen – great he thinks – half hour later – redraw and he's on peg 28 – Ahhh. Not to worry Smurf, Alan Oram made good use of the re-draw. Re-draws shouldn’t be taken lightly, and should be avoided at any cost!! As it was my turn to fish Match Lake (I don’t understand why anglers turn their noses up at this lake). I pulled out peg 19, at last on the far bank, plus the match was won from this peg the day before by the fishery owner Mike Duckett with 27lb. I thought that all the coin would go to the anglers on this bank - I was right, especially when Tommy Thick arrived on next peg 21. After a quick word with Mike, who informed me that he caught on double maggot, plus in the knowledge that the Wednesday match was also won on maggot with no one catching on pellet, I decide to have just the two lines, a pellet rig at 11-0-clock at 13 metres (the deepest part of my swim) and a maggot swim at 11.5 metres at 1-0-clock – that’s it. I fed the 13 metre line with about 30 pieces of wetted micro. I followed this up with a dozen or so red maggot on the11.5 metre line, where I started with a single red maggot. I noticed that first cast Tommy caught and landed a Carp using pellet on “Girls” elastic, Umm. For the first 15 minutes I didn’t have a bite. I then hooked and landed an 8lb Carp on the drop. I quickly rearranged my shotting pattern to fish the drop a bit better. Next cast another 8lb Carp in the net – got it cracked!! Not another bite for half an hour then a lost foul hooker. As Tommy Thick appeared to be bagging on the pellet, I thought it time to try it myself. First cast a 1lb F1 in the net. I had another two before I hooked another Carp which I played to the net only to lose it – bollocks. Next cast I hooked and landed another 8lb Carp. Back on the maggot line and bang on schedule at 13:15 the Ronnie’s switched on and it was a 1oz to 2oz Ronnie a cast. By this time Tommy had five carp to my three so I made the decision to switch back to the pellet. This resulted in a couple of small Skimmers – one missing the keep net as it stuck to my hand. Whilst fishing the pellet I had this gnawing doubt that I should spend the last couple of hours on the Ronnie’s, however, I persevered with the pellet for little to no return. At the whistle I thought Tommy had beaten me easily. The three Carp weighed 24lb 4oz and with my Silvers weighing 5lb 7oz my total was 29lb 11oz. This put me second on the lake and another brown envelope containing £55. As expected I was beaten by Tommy, but only by 1lb! Not one of my better decisions not to fish for those Ronnie’s, I am sure I would have won the lake and perhaps the Silvers had I done so. Shows how important it is to know what is exactly going on around you.

The match overall was one by Vince Shipp (pictured right) with 78lb 3oz from un-fancied peg 62 on John Walters Lake. Vince fished 6mm expander over potted micro with a smidgen of 4 mm pellet. Vince to some extent lives in the shadow of brother Des, but have no doubt about it, Vince is a great angler and a real Gentlemen with it and makes a great cup of tea (why is it that all builders make great tea). Well done matey.

Full Result (overall):

1. Vince Shipp 78-03-0 peg 62
2. Alan Oram 56-15-0 peg 33
3. Nicky Collier 55-14-0 peg 94
4. Martin Lenaghan 53-13-0 peg 83
5. Tony Rixon 44-04-0 peg 81
6. John (practice makes perfect) Bradford 42-01-0 peg

Top Silvers: (overall):

1. Dale Howson 10-03-0 peg 19
2. Paul Elms 10-10-0 peg 41

1 comment:

tony rixon,s days out said...

i got to agree about robson green he cant cast but it is an enjoyable series, i think he is treated very unfairly by the purists and the angling press as it appeals to anglers and none anglers alike, no one ever complained about rex hunt snapping line to leave the hook in a gut hooked fish or chucking it back(but i loved his series aswell)
and you are turning into a bit of a tea scrounger you need to get the special one to show you how to use a kettle