Wednesday 27 January 2010

Wednesday 27/01/2010 - Avon Angling Open - Bowd Valley Lake

The Director of Public Prosecutions has defended bringing charges against the mother who was cleared of trying to kill her severely ill daughter. Bridget Kathleen Gilderdale, 55, of East Sussex, was cleared of attempted murder at Lewes Crown Court. Mr. Justice Bean questioned if the prosecution should have been brought as she had previously admitted assisting her daughter's suicide. Keir Starmer QC said the prosecution was "in the public interest". Can Keir Starmer please explain to the public why it was in their interest – bet he can’t! This man should be sacked for wasting public money!!! Also this week Lisa Hayden-Johnson was jailed for JUST three years and three months after putting her son through years of unnecessary medical treatment. Judges appear to be out of touch with reality. It’s time the Government reviewed how prosecutors and judges are selected. I can’t believe a job centre has been criticised this week for refusing to display an advert for a 'reliable workers' - because it discriminated against unreliable applicants. The world is gone mad – can some political party please now step in to the void. That feels better.

Now back to the fishing and back to Boyd Valley (or as I now call it Red-Mire), this time in the Avon Angling Open. Apparently there was a waiting list to fish this match. I am not surprised as it is not only a great venue; it’s also close to home (in my case 5 minutes). At the draw Bob Price had his new tackle box on show. Bob duly mounted it on his power trolley only for one of his bungees to slip and catch Bob in his left eye (see picture right – “Bob the Bread gets Bungeed on the Brow). I bet it's blacker tomorrow!

I didn’t really mind where I drew, but my preference would be pegs 2 to 10. I was delighted when I pulled peg 3. I set up a 3 metre whip (which didn’t get used - in earnest). My usual to hand Ronnie rig for use with the caster. Finally I set up a Skimmer rig at 6 metres (when I say 6 metres I mean number 6 section, which is more like 5.5 metres) for the 3mm expander pellet. I started by potting in some wetted micro at 6 metres and loosing feeding caster on the Ronnie’s line, where I started. It took 15 minutes before I got a bite. I then had a run of Ronnie’s to 6oz. However it was very slow and from what I could see it appeared to be the case around the lake. I then hooked a small Carp (1lb 8oz) which ran me a merry dance. After landing it I was sure the swim would have died so out on the pellet line with 3mm expander. After 15 minutes I had only one small Skimmer to show for it. Back on the Ronnie line with caster, this resulted in a couple more, but very slow – I had hit the wall. So I decided to go back out on the 6 metre line using single red maggot hook bait (the only choice left on my bait tray). This was one of my better decisions as for the second half of the match I kept both Skimmers and Ronnie’s coming. However, Chris Davis was catching very well on peg 2 and was ahead of me, he was catching decent Skimmers on chopped worm (can’t believed this worked today). However, with thirty minutes to go I had three Carp inconsecutive put-ins which changed the balance of play. I weighed 26lb 1oz for first overall and a pick up of £60. As expected Chris Davis was runner up with 23lb 1oz of mainly Skimmers to 1lb.

Full Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 26-01-0 peg 3
2. Chris Davis 23-01-0 peg 2
3. John (retired) Smith 14-10-0 peg 10
4. Tony Rixon 13-08-0 peg 6
5. Pete Sivell 10-02-0 peg 9
6. Dean Malin 8-14-0 peg 7

No comments: