Thursday 26 November 2009

Thursday 26/11/2009 - Bathampton AA Over 55's - Bridge Pool


The Bathampton club Heron (similar creature pictured right – apparently there are 61 Species of Heron, but this is the model that Bathampton AA appear have taken ownership of) was active again today. It first decided to have a go at Bob Price on peg 17, but failed to nick his fish. It then spotted John Wild on the next peg to me playing a 3oz Perch. Well within 10 seconds John had lost his Perch and rig. The Heron then dragged the lot on to the island and swallowed the Perch whole. It could then be seen flying towards Withy with the rig flying behind it like a kite. I must say this isn’t the normal behaviour of Heron’s; perhaps a phone call to the RSPCA/RSPB might be in order.

I drew peg 24 which can be both a good Carp peg and Silvers peg depending on the prevailing conditions and time of year. I set up just the one rig, a 4x16 Jolly, which I fished at top set plus two sections on in front in nine foot of water. I decided on red maggot hook bait over kinder potted red maggot. I started well catching 3/4oz Perch every put in. Then the sun came out on to the water and things slowed. I found that by picking up the tow I started to catch the odd Skimmer to 10oz. However, because the wind kept veering, picking up the tow became difficult with the float suddenly running in the opposite direction. On reflection I should have fished a 4x18. I persevered with this until the last hour when in anticipation of a Carp I decide to up the feed, by filling up the kinder pot and feeding similar amounts after every fish. With 15 minutes to go I was rewarded with a 10lb 7oz Mirror. On the last put in of the day I fouled a decent Silver fish but pulled out. I weighed 11lb 10oz of Silvers, this combined with my Carp put me first overall with 22lb 1oz and also first in the Silvers and a pick up of £25.


Mike (The Peter Pan of Angling) Jones (pictured right with the overall winner) picked up the Silvers pool by default with 9lb 6oz. I am amazed how well Mike does on the wag and mag, especially in the windy conditions that were present today. I just hope he doesn’t get the confidence to use his pole more often or we’re all in trouble!!

Full Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 22-01-0 peg 24
  2. Chris Snow 21-05-0 peg 7
  3. Colin Golding 10-13-0 peg 10
  4. Mike Jones 9-06-0 peg 31
  5. Steve Jefferies 9-01-0 peg 29
  6. Bob Price 7-06-0 peg 17
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 11-10-0 peg 23
  2. Mike Jones 9-06-0 peg 31

No comments: